THE DUKE OF CONNAUGHT AND ALLENBY INSPECTING TROOPS ON THE PALESTINE FRONT, MARCH 1918 [Allocated Title]
- Title: THE DUKE OF CONNAUGHT AND ALLENBY INSPECTING TROOPS ON THE PALESTINE FRONT, MARCH 1918 [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: IWM 25
- Other titles:
- Summary: The Duke of Connaught, on a tour of Egypt and the Palestine Front, inspects units of the Egyptian Expeditionary Force with General Allenby, March 1918.
- Description: I. The film opens with an attached scene of mule transport and horses of 5th Cavalry Division being watered. II. (Reel 1) The Duke and Allenby ride to a saluting base to inspect the 7th (Meerut) Division, commanded by Major-General V B Fane, at Ismailia. This includes a marchpast by 2nd Battalion, the Black Watch, and a guard of honour of 2nd Battalion, the Leicestershire Regiment, which is inspected by the Duke. Major-General Fane escorts the Duke to the landing stage and he leaves by launch across Lake Timsah. Allenby and the Duke arrive by another launch at Kantara, for their inspection of 24th Stationary Hospital, meeting the officer commanding, Lieutenant-Colonel Powell RAMC, and the matron, Miss Stewart. The reel ends with a troop train arriving at Kantara, carrying uninjured Australian Light Horse who detrain and carry away their equipment on foot. (Reel 2) Connaught at Belah on 14th March, reviewing a marchpast of 4th Cavalry Division (?) and the ANZAC Mounted Division (?). This is followed by the Duke's inspection of 157th Brigade, 52nd (Lowland) Division on 18 March. Finally, the Duke presents awards to a number of officers and soldiers at an old Turkish camp at Mount Zion on 20 March. Allenby receives the GCMG, Major-General L J Bols receives the KCMG, and a number of other officers the CMG. Awards are also given to several other soldiers, including some Indian soldiers.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1914-1918
- Production Date: 1918
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Ministry of Information (Production sponsor) Topical Film Company (Production company) Jeapes, Harold (Production individual) Hurley, Frank1885-10-151962-01-16Australian photographer (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Arthur, Prince (Duke of Connaught) (person) Allenby, Edmund Henry Hynman (person) Fane, Vere B (person) Powell, G (person) Stewart (Miss) (person) Bols, Louis J (person) British Army, Egyptian Expeditionary Force (regiment/service) British Army, Royal Army Medical Corps, Stationary Hospital 24 (regiment/service) British Army, Black Watch, 2nd Battalion (regiment/service) British Army, Leicestershire Regiment, 2nd Battalion (regiment/service) Indian Army, Egyptian Expeditionary Force (regiment/service) Indian Army, 7th (Meerut) Division (regiment/service) Australian Army, Australian Imperial Force (regiment/service) Australian Army, Egyptian Expeditionary Force (regiment/service) Australian Army, Australian Light Horse (regiment/service) Australian Army, Anzac Mounted Division (regiment/service) British Army, Div, Cavalry, 4 (regiment/service) Indian Army, Div, Cavalry, 1 (regiment/service) British Army, Div 52 (regiment/service) British Army, Bde 157 (regiment/service)
- Keywords: delegations, British national - military (object name) delegations, British imperial - military (object name) transport, Australian military - rail (object name) ceremonies, British - event-related: investiture (object name) medical, British military - hospital (object name) 01/3(569) (event) Egypt & Ismailia (geography) Egypt & Timsah, Lake (geography) Egypt & Kantara (geography) Turkey & Belah, Palestine (geography) Turkey & Mount Zion, Palestine (geography) desert (concept)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: English
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 2 Footage: 1505 ft; Running time: 25 mins
- Notes: Summary: see also IWM 13.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: