WINE INDUSTRY AND LAYING OF THE FOUNDATION STONE OF THE JEWISH UNIVERSITY [Main Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: WINE INDUSTRY AND LAYING OF THE FOUNDATION STONE OF THE JEWISH UNIVERSITY [Main Title]
- Film Number: IWM 35
- Other titles:
- Summary: Wine production at the Jewish settlement of Rishon le Zion, followed by the arrival of dignitaries for the ceremonial laying of the foundation stone of the Jewish University, both Palestine, summer 1918.
- Description: A group of about eight men and women picking grapes in a vineyard - the atmosphere is relaxed and cheerful, with only an overseer figure taking the task completely seriously; a close-up of a girl with a basket balanced on her head. Outside the wine press building, full baskets are unloaded from a cart; inside (underexposed scenes) baskets are emptied into the press, a meeting takes place, and there is some sort of inspection by a visiting party, some wearing topees. At a ceremonial gathering, civilian dignitaries (some in topees) and military officers arrive between lines of members of the Maccabi Athletic Association, some of whom hold banners with Hebrew text. The shotsheet describes the event as in the title, though there is no film of any actual stone-laying, and identifies "General Allenby and staff" arriving.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1914-1918
- Production Date: 1918
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Ministry of Information (Production sponsor) Topical Film Company (Production company) Jeapes, Harold (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Allenby, Edmund Henry Hynman (person) Weizmann, Chaim Azriel (person) Zionist organisation & Maccabi Athletic Association (regiment/service)
- Keywords: agriculture, Palestinian - arable: grapes (object name) ceremonies, Palestinian - event related: laying of foundation stone, Jewish University (object name) industry, Palestinian - food: wine (object name) 01/3(569) (event) Turkey & Rishon le Zion, Palestine <Jewish settlement> (geography) Turkey & Jerusalem, Palestine (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 287 ft; Running time: 5 mins
- Notes: Title: this is taken from the shotsheet. Summary: the shotsheet is the source for Rishon le Zion as the specific location of the vineyard and wine press scenes.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: