- Title: WITH THE FORCES IN MESOPOTAMIA - SERIES 4 [Main Title]
- Film Number: IWM 64
- Other titles: WITH THE FORCES IN MESOPOTAMIA (rough material) [Alternative Title]
- Summary: Jumbled material of British troops on the Mesopotamian Front, 1917-1918.
- Description: The material was mainly used in the WITH THE FORCES IN MESOPOTAMIA series. It opens with two Holt tractors of 13th Indian Division hauling a 6-inch 30cwt (?) howitzer across the Narim River at Narim Kopris, beside the bridge destroyed by the Turks. A British cyclist unit on the move in the desert. Pack mules led by British and Indian soldiers. 1st Battalion, Connaught Rangers on the march through the desert in the winter of 1917 (note the considerable variety of dress). Indian stretcher-bearers carry wounded across the Diyala River. A pontoon bridge across the Tigris with British troops and a cart crossing. Indian soldiers of 31st Brigade wade through the Khasradala ford at Aq Su on 29 April 1918. Indian troops in a water-carrying column filling their trucks from a river by hoses and hand-pumps. A Holt tractor being put through trials while towing a 6-inch 26cwt (?) howitzer.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1914-1918
- Production Date: 1918
- Production Country: GB United States of America
- Production Details: Ministry of Information (Production sponsor) International Film Service (Production company) Varges, Ariel L (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: British Army, Mesopotamian Expeditionary Force (regiment/service) British Army, Connaught Rangers, 1st Battalion (regiment/service) Indian Army, Mesopotamian Expeditionary Force (regiment/service) British Army, 13th Division (regiment/service)
- Keywords: transport, British military - prime mover: Holt tractor (object name) weapons, British - gun: 6-inch 30cwt howitzer (?) (object name) weapons, British - gun: 6-inch 26cwt howitzer (?) (object name) transport, British military - 2/3 wheel: bicycle (object name) medical, British military - emergency (object name) equipment, Indian - engineering: water pump (object name) transport, Indian military - truck, special: water truck (object name) operations, British military - movement: bicycle (object name) equipment, British - personal: uniform (desert) (object name) 01/3(567) (event) Turkey & Narim River, Mesopotamia (geography) Turkey & Narim Kopris, Mesopotamia (geography) Turkey & Khasradala, Mesopotamia <ford> (geography) Turkey & Diyala River, Mesopotamia (geography) Turkey & Aq Su, Mesopotamia (geography) desert (concept)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: English Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 528 ft; Running time: 9 mins
- Notes: Summary: see the rest of the WITH THE FORCES IN MESOPOTAMIA series, and also IWM 63, IWM 68 and IWM 78.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
IWM 63 (MESOPOTAMIA - CTESIPHON AND SAMARRA [Allocated Title]) IWM 68 (MESOPOTAMIA - DIYALA RIVER, KIFRIE ROAD, TUZ KERMATLI (sic) [Main Title]) IWM 78 (ADVANCE OF THE CRUSADERS INTO MESOPOTAMIA - 2 [Main Title])