IWM Film website upgrade: self-selection and authorised download of HD clips. More info
By continuing to use this site without changing your cookie settings,
and for us to access our cookies on your device.
Title:AUSTRO-HUNGARIANS IN PRZEMYSL 1 [Allocated Title]
Film Number:IWM 1039-1
Summary: Hungarian film of Przemysl and its environs after the Russian retreat, Eastern Front, June 1915.
Description: Views of the destroyed fortress show fallen masonry blocks and dismounted guns. Austro-Hungarian and German troops move through the ruins. Austro-Hungarian transport, including bridge-building equipment and a 305mm heavy howitzer (transported in two main sections) moves down a road. The 305mm howitzer is assembled and fired. An officer at a table in a dugout computes the firing angle, as the howitzer continues its bombardment. Back in the fortress, Austro-Hungarian and German troops pile up captured smallarms. More Austro-Hungarian troops cross the San River by a pontoon bridge. Cavalry lead the advance through Przemysl town, which is comparatively undamaged. Refugees with their carts make their way along the roads. German soldiers leave the cathedral (?) following a service of thanksgiving for the fall of Przemysl held on 3rd June.
Technical Details: Format: 35mm
Number of items/reels/tapes: 1
Footage: 775 ft; Running time: 13 mins
Notes: Summary: The American cameraman Albert K Dawson (1885-1967) is visible wandering around the ruins of the Przemysl forts. [Information kindly supplied by Ron van Dopperen, 25/1/2012]
Film flashes of the European front: The war diary of Albert K. Dawson, 1915–1916
Ron van Dopperen and Cooper C. Graham
Vol. 23, No. 1, Art, Industry, Technology (January 2011), pp. 20-37
(article consists of 18 pages)
Published by: Indiana University Press
Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.2979/filmhistory.23.1.20
The film was probably taken from footage that was edited in Dawson's feature film Battles of A Nation, released in the U.S.A. in November 1915.
The Dawson films were released in 1915 by the American Correspondent Film Company, as part of a film propaganda campaign by the German government in the USA. Dawson used official footage shot by military cameramen attached to the army, which explains the Hungarian intertitle. Duplicate negatives of his films were kept in Vienna and Berlin, for distribution in Germany and Austria-Hungary."