Summary: Amateur film specially shot to record the appearance eleven years after the end of the Great War of the sites on the Western Front (France and Belgium) where members of the 520th (Field) Company Royal Engineers (Territorial Force) served, presumably intended for screening for commemorative purposes to surviving members of this particular sapper company.
Description: Shots of buildings; sign for 'St Albans City' [from where Company entrained for France on 22 June 1915, having been raised in September 1914]; moving train with LMS rail carriages.
[Following shots all follow titles - mostly panning shots of the location described]
Ypres: Goldfish Chateau [Company in Ypres Salient from 17 October 1916 to March 1917]
Ypres: The Cathedral
Ypres: The Square
Ypres: The Menin Gate
Ypres: White Chateau Menin Road
Ypres: Hell Fire Corner Menin Road
Ypres: The Post Office
Ypres: Lille Gate & Ramparts
Ypres: Shrapnel Corner
Railway cutting and Hill 60
Lapugnoy [15 February 1915 to 7 March 1916]
Maroc [July 1915 to September 1915, Loos Front Salient]
North Maroc Church
Maroc Fosse 5
Loos: The New Tower Bridge
The Hairpin & Hulluch Road
French Cemetery on the Lorette Heights (crosses still wooden)
Vimy Ridge: The Pimple [March 1916 to May 1916, Vimy Ridge]
Vimy Ridge: The Craters
Cabaret Rouge: The Well
Cabaret Rouge: Cemetery
Albert Cathedral upright once more
The Somme
La Boiselle Crater
Fricourt [14 September 1916 to 10 October 1916]
From Bazentin Crossroads
Are you the star fish? (German entrenchments)
The Battle of Walencourt
47th Division Memorials at Martinpuich & High Wood
Pill Box Hindenburg Line
The only entrance except from below [hole in the concrete bunker]
Canal du Nord emptied by Germans
Last two shots show a grey-haired man wearing a suit and bow-tie holding an open book, followed by a shot of the open book at the title page (History of the 520th (Field) Company R.E. (T.F.): formerly known as the 2/3rd London (Field) Company R.E. (T.F.), 1914-1918 - London : War Narratives, 1919) [with a frontispiece photograph of Major Stuart G Love, DSO and Bar, MC, RE, who commanded the Company from 12 December 1915.]