- Title: BURMA HSIPAW - SAWBWA FUNERAL [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: MGH 6182
- Other titles: COLONEL HODGKINSON - AMATEUR FILM [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Funeral of Sawbwa (ruler) of Hsipaw state, in the Northern Shan States of Burma, with parade by Gurkha Battalion (8th ?) who fire volley over coffin. Also scenes of gambling, presumably during the annual March festival of the Bawgyo Pagoda.
- Description: Pan to bridge. Market scenes, playing game for money, laying money on symbols. General shot of market. Large dice game, wheel of fortune. Cu fish symbol, money placed on it. Drinks vendor. Eating water ices. Ducks on stall. Cooking. Child using chopsticks. Woman with umbrella and child on back. Wide shot of temple. Monks in saffron robes, temple people holding artefacts. Setting up temple alter/shrine. Pictures of deceased, portrait of same. Crowd with hats. Processsion with military band. Horsemen, soldiers with reversed arms. People bearing gifts, man on elephant bearing gifts, ornate hearse. Priests. Umbrellas. Pulling gun carriage. Grand procession. People up on hillside of Temple. Men in white carrying coffin officers at Graveside. Soldiers present arms, cementing coffin into mausoleum. People depart.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period:
- Production Date: 1945
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Hodgkinson, Frank Outram (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations:
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: Colour Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 16mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 330 ft (ca)
- Notes: Allocated Title taken from Hodgkinson's original can markings. Date: refers to stock dates on Kodachrome Technical: film marked "original".
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects: