THE 11TH ARMOURED DIVISION SPEARHEADS 8TH CORPS' ADVANCE INTO SOUTHERN HOLLAND ON 30TH CORPS' RIGHT FLANK (PART 4) [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: THE 11TH ARMOURED DIVISION SPEARHEADS 8TH CORPS' ADVANCE INTO SOUTHERN HOLLAND ON 30TH CORPS' RIGHT FLANK (PART 4) [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 165-3
- Other titles:
- Summary: 29th Armoured Brigade Group advances eastward from Valkenswaard to Someren and the Zuidwillemsvaart Canal.
- Description: In dull and misty weather, the 2nd Fife and Forfar Yeomanry's armour and motorised infantry belonging to the 1st Battalion Hereford Regiment advance over heath land and through clumps of gorse, bracken and larch trees between Valkenswaard and Leende. A troop of Sherman and Firefly tanks each carrying a section of infantry, turns off the main road leading through the Dutch village of Leende (?) and heads down a narrow track, accompanied by a jeep and a universal carrier from the Hereford Regiment. An infantry section dashes across a road to deal with a German machine-gun post; the section's bren-gunner opens fire at the Germans lying concealed on the other side of an unharvested barley (?) field.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-09-20
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Laws, George E J1916-02-15 (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations:
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 199 ft; Running time: 2 mins
- Notes: Summary: see with A70 162-4, 5, 164-4, 8, 165-5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 166-1, 167-1 to 4, 161-1, 4 for footage showing the 11th Armoured Division advancing into marsh and heath land in southern Holland. Once the 2nd FFY and the 1st Hereford Regiment reached Someren, they were attached to 159th Brigade Group which surrendered the 3rd RTR and the 3rd Monmouth Regiment to 29th Armoured Brigade Group. Remarks: good footage. Best seen with the items of ciné material listed above, notably A70 165-6 which contains similar, complementary footage. Documentation/associated material: in addition to the publications listed in A70 164-4, read "The Fife and Forfar Yeomanry 1919-1956" by R B J Sellar and "Historical Records of the Herefordshire Light Infantry and Its Predecessors" by G A Parfitt.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: