7TH ARMOURED DIVISION TAKES PART IN OPERATION PHEASANT - 12TH CORPS ASSAULT ON S'HERTOGENBOSCH (PART 1) [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: 7TH ARMOURED DIVISION TAKES PART IN OPERATION PHEASANT - 12TH CORPS ASSAULT ON S'HERTOGENBOSCH (PART 1) [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 182-8
- Other titles:
- Summary: Supported by specialised armoured detachments, 131st (Queen's) Brigade goes into action against a German outpost line covering the south-eastern approaches to s'Hertogenbosch.
- Description: A jeep, a Daimler scout car and a Humber scout car from units supporting the Queen's Brigade are seen in a column filing across country between Middlerode (?) and Laar (?) north of the Zuidwillemsvaart Canal; two jeeps, one carrying 1/5th Battalion Queen's Regiment's first casualties, make their way to the rear. Stretcher bearers and riflemen attached to the battalion's second wave move through woodland towards their objective; a Sherman OP tank(?) and a universal carrier from the 1/5th Queen's support company move up along a muddy track. A farm building in the village of Laar (?) set on fire by British artillery is seen burning. During the 1/5th Battalion's assault on Laar, two Westminster Dragoons Sherman Crabs 'flail' the road leading into the village; an infantry section dashes forward under fire; two 141st RAC 'C' squadron Churchill Crocodiles move into the attack; an 8th Hussars 'A' squadron Cromwell opens fire with its co-axial Besa machine-gun on a German machine gun post in woods outside Laar where a Churchill Crocodile is seen in action with its flame-thrower; a casualty is loaded onto a jeep ambulance and is driven away. A German prisoner is questioned by a military policeman.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-10-22
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Gordon, J (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations:
- Keywords: Netherlands & <south> (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 283 ft; Running time: 3 mins
- Notes: Summary: See with A70 182-9, 11, 183-12, 184-6, 187-2, 4, 189-2, 3, 192-1 for footage showing 7th Armoured Division in action during Operation Pheasant - the clearance by 12th Corps of the area west of the corridor won by 30th Corps during Market Garden south of the River Maas. Refer to ciné material showing 51st (Highland) and 53rd (Welsh) Divisions similarly engaged. Remarks: Good action footage. Best seen with the items of ciné material listed above, notably A70 182-9 which contains complementary, virtually identical footage. Documentation/associated material: read History of the 7th Armoured Division June 1943-July 1945 by Division HQ 2nd Army HQ's An Account of the Operations of 2nd Army in Europe 1944-1945: Volume 1, Men of Valour - the VIIIth King's Royal Irish Hussars 1927-1958, by Olivia Fitzroy. History of the Queen's Royal Regiment: Volume VIII 1924-1948 by Major Foster and L F Ellis Victory in the West: Volume 2.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: