VISIT OF THE HON J R BENNETT, MINISTER OF MILITIA OF NEWFOUNDLAND, TO FRANCE, 1918 [Main Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: VISIT OF THE HON J R BENNETT, MINISTER OF MILITIA OF NEWFOUNDLAND, TO FRANCE, 1918 [Main Title]
- Film Number: IWM 253
- Other titles:
- Summary: Mr John Bennett's visit to the Royal Newfoundland Regiment in France, 22-26 June 1918.
- Description: (Reel 1) Bennett arrives at Boulogne on 22 June, met by Major H A Timewell and war correspondents H M Beeton and Frederick McKenzie. Next day Bennett inspects the Royal Newfoundland Regiment at Ecuires, talking briefly to the temporary commanding officer, Major A E Bernard, and to the RSM. He decorates nine NCOs and men, following which the regiment marches past. On 24 June Bennett visits Arras Cathedral, which shows the results of heavy shelling, although there are grass and flowers growing in the rubble. (Reel 2) On the following day, Bennett inspects the regimental transport, including a field kitchen. The transport marches past as he watches. He talks to Sergeant-Major Sampson DCM, who captured a German machine gun post single-handed. Bennett watches a drill display at the training camp, inspects new recruits, and delivers a short speech, following which the recruits march past. On 26 June the ceremony of changing the guard takes place outside the regimental headquarters, complete with bugles and fixed bayonets.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1914-1918
- Production Date: 1918
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Ministry of Information (Production sponsor) Topical Film Company (Production company) McDowell, J B (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Bennett, John R (person) Beeton, H M (person) Timewell, H A (person) McKenzie, Frederick (person) Bernard, A E (person) Sampson (Sergeant-Major) (person) British Army, 29th Division (regiment/service) British Army, Newfoundland Regiment (regiment/service)
- Keywords: delegations, Newfoundland national - political (object name) buildings, French - religious: cathedral (object name) ceremonies, Newfoundland - customary: changing of the guard (object name) journalism and record, British - press (object name) 01/3(4-15).8 (event) Boulogne-sur-Mer, Pas-de-Calais, France (geography) Ecuires, Pas-de-Calais, France (geography) Arras Cathedral, Arras, Pas-de-Calais, France (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 1180 ft; Running time: 19 mins
- Notes: Title: this is taken from the shotsheet. Technical: the two reels were originally marked as parts one and two of the film. They are now joined as one reel. Remarks: the transport marchpast gives a very good idea of the amount of horsed transport needed for even one battalion, and the amount of road space that it occupied.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: