US SIGNAL CORPS, ROYAL ENGINEERS AND QMAAC ON THE WESTERN FRONT, JULY 1918 [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: US SIGNAL CORPS, ROYAL ENGINEERS AND QMAAC ON THE WESTERN FRONT, JULY 1918 [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: IWM 267
- Other titles:
- Summary: I. Men of US Signal Corps, probably attached to British 42nd Division, erecting telephone wires on top of poles, 6 July 1918. II. Royal Engineers operating a beam engine which bores for water. They clean sludge out of the drill and fit new sections. Villers Bocage, 6 July 1918. III. QMAAC and Red Cross work on ambulances, Western Front, 7 July 1918.
- Description: Two girl fitters of Queen Mary's Auxiliary Ambulance Corps doing maintenance work on the wheels and the engine of their ambulance. (Rather staged, the girls are trying very hard not to be camera-conscious.) QMAAC and Red Cross women ambulance drivers and crews unload stretchers from their ambulances, and go into dugouts wearing shrapnel helmets as a protection against air raids. They then start their vehicles and move off. The ambulances have markings indicating that they have been donated by various charities and societies.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1914-1918
- Production Date: 1918
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Ministry of Information (Production sponsor) Topical Film Company (Production company) Buckstone, Walter A (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: United States Army & American Expeditionary Force (regiment/service) United States Army & Signal Corps (regiment/service) British Army, Royal Engineers (regiment/service) British Army, Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps (regiment/service) British Red Cross (regiment/service)
- Keywords: communications, United States military - wire (object name) engineering, military, British: water drilling (object name) equipment, British military - engineering: beam engine (object name) operations, British military - maintenance (object name) transport, British military - ambulance (object name) 01/3(4-15).8 (event) 01/3(4-15).8 (event) 01/3(4-15).8 (event) France (geography) Villers-Bocage, Calvados, France (geography) France (geography) (concept)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 328 ft; Running time: 6 mins
- Notes: Shotsheet: this is unusually detailed, almost a dopesheet.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: