US INFANTRY AT LE HAVRE AND WAACS AT ABBEVILLE CEMETERY, JULY 1918 [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: US INFANTRY AT LE HAVRE AND WAACS AT ABBEVILLE CEMETERY, JULY 1918 [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: IWM 272
- Other titles:
- Summary: I. US Infantry at Le Havre preparing to leave camp, Western Front, 10 July 1918. II. Ladies of the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps tend graves of dead soldiers at the military cemetery at Abbéville, Western Front, 19 July (?) 1918.
- Description: The men put on their equipment, showing very clearly how full marching pack and equipment was worn. They assemble by their bell tents and, led by two regimental colours (standards) and their band, they march out of camp, wearing waterproof capes and blanket rolls against the driving rain. The cemetery is large and semi-permanent (in that the crosses are of wood not stone) but is neatly laid out and well tended. The small group of ladies, very camera-conscious, lays wreaths on the graves, weeds and sweeps the path.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1914-1918
- Production Date: 1918
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Ministry of Information (Production sponsor) Topical Film Company (Production company) McDowell, J B (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: United States Army & American Expeditionary Force (regiment/service) United States Army & [infantry] (regiment/service) British Army, Women's Army Auxiliary Corps (regiment/service)
- Keywords: equipment, United States military - personal: pack (object name) operations, United States military - routine (object name) casualties, British graves - formal (object name) 01/3(4-15).8 (event) 01/3(4-15).9 (event) Le Havre, Seine-Maritime, France (geography) Abbeville, Somme, France (geography) (concept)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 254 ft; Running time: 5 mins
- Notes: Date: there is some doubt as to the date of the second subject. The shotsheet gives 19 July but the apparently corresponding photographs are dated 9 February.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: