15TH SCOTTISH DIVISION ATTACKS THE WEHRMACHT 326TH INFANTRY DIVISION'S POSITIONS AROUND SEPT VENTS [Allocated Title]
- Title: 15TH SCOTTISH DIVISION ATTACKS THE WEHRMACHT 326TH INFANTRY DIVISION'S POSITIONS AROUND SEPT VENTS [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 105-6
- Other titles:
- Summary: Supported by armour from the 6th Guards Tank Brigade, infantry of the 15th (Scottish) Division makes good progress during the initial stages of the advance from Caumont.
- Description: The gunners of a Bofors self-propelled gun serving with the 119th LAA Regiment RA engage ground targets down a narrow street in the village of Sept Vents. Prisoners from the Wehrmacht 326th Infantry Division carry their wounded to a first aid post past some 1st Lothian and Border Horse flail tanks and two 4th Grenadier Guards Churchills which have run onto mines between Le Bourg and Sept Vents. Two 15th Division troops examine a "Panzerfaust" found lying by a dead German officer in Sept Vents. Nearby is a "Panzerschreck" tube. Cleared by the 9th Cameronians, the battered village of Sept Vents awaits the arrival of the follow-up infantry. Bombs dropped by RAF heavy bombers burst on Hill 361 in the Bois du Homme. More prisoners from the routed 326th Division are escorted to the rear by two 3rd Scots Guards scout cars and provide the patrons of a cafe with some amusement as they are marched past.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-07-30
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Jones, H J [Army cameraman] (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: British Army, Corps 8 (regiment/service) British Army, Scots Guards, Tank 3rd Battalion (regiment/service) British Army, Bde 227 (regiment/service) British Army, Div 15 (regiment/service) British Army, Royal Artillery, LAA Regiment 119 (regiment/service) British Army, Guards Tank Bde 6 (regiment/service)
- Keywords: armour, British - SPG: Morris Bofors (object name) casualties, German dead - battlefield (object name) weapons, German - projector [AT]: Panzerfaust (object name) weapons, German - projector: Panzerschreck (object name) armour, British - armoured car: Humber scout car (object name) prisoners of war, German - movement (object name) combat, British air - bombardment (object name) destruction, French military - aimed: artillery (object name) casualties, German wounded (object name) medical, British military - emergency: first aid post (object name) combat, British - artillery bombardment (object name) Operation Bluecoat, Mont Pinçon 1944, North West Europe, Second World War (event) Sept Vents, Calvados, France (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 197 ft; Running time: 2 mins
- Notes: Note: Refer to A70 105-1, 2 and 7 for footage taken by Sergeants Grant, Laws and Harris showing 15th Division units at commencement of "Bluecoat" and to material showing 11th Armoured and Guards Armoured Divisions, 15th (Scottish) and 3rd (British) Divisions and 6th Guards Tank Brigade in action during this military operation. Remarks: Good 'action' footage. Best seen with items of footage listed above. Documentation/associated material: read 'The 15th (Scottish) Division 1939- 1945' by Lieutenant-General H G Martin, 'The 6th Guards Tank Brigade - the story of Guardsmen in Churchill tanks' by P Forbes, 'An Account of the Operations of 2nd Army in Europe 1944-1945 : Volume 1' by 2nd Army HQ.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: