REINFORCEMENTS FOR THE INVASION OF NORMANDY (PART 1) [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: REINFORCEMENTS FOR THE INVASION OF NORMANDY (PART 1) [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 36-3
- Other titles:
- Summary: Detachments from the 51st (Highland) Division and 2nd Army engineering and artillery units board a liberty ship in the East India Docks prior to D-Day.
- Description: I. A Bedford three-tonner and an M5 halftrack belonging to a signals unit from the Highland Division's HQ are hoisted aboard the Liberty ship Samarovsk from the quayside. Two merchant seamen are seen operating the winch of one of the ship's cranes as it lifts a vehicle from the quayside. A cargo-handler supervises the lowering of an RASC Dodge three-ton lorry into a stern hold. II. Men belonging to the 5th Cameron Highlanders and Royal Artillery, Royal Army Supply Corps and Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers units embark on the the Samarovsk and have their embarkation tickets checked and torn off by a military police checkpoint at the foot of the gangway.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-06-01
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Waterhouse, A C (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: British Army, Bde 152 (regiment/service) British Army, Cameron Highlanders, 5th Battalion (regiment/service) British Army, Corps 1 (regiment/service) British Army, Div 51 (regiment/service) British Army, Royal Military Police (regiment/service) British Army, Royal Artillery (regiment/service) Royal Navy, Samarovsk (regiment/service)
- Keywords: armour, British - halftrack: M5 (object name) operations, Allied military - preparation (object name) ships, British auxiliary - cargo: Samarovsk (liberty ship) (object name) transport, British - truck: Bedford 3-ton 4x4 truck (object name) transport, United States military - truck: Dodge 3-ton 4x2 truck (object name) Operation Overlord, Second World War (event) GB, England & London, E <East India Docks> (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 192 ft; Running time: 2 mins
- Notes: Summary: see with A70 35-2, 3, 36-4, for footage showing the Highland Division leaving England and arriving off Normandy on D + 1. Part I of the synopsis was filmed on 30/5/1944, part II on 3/6/1944. Reformed after the original division's capture in France in June 1940, the 51st (Highland) Division was now after North Africa, Sicily and Italy embarking on its fourth campaign since October 1942. Remarks: good footage. Best seen with the items of ciné material listed above, notably A70 36-4 and with footage showing follow-up units embarking from Felixstowe and landing on 'Gold' Beach after the invasion. Documentation/associated material: for a bibliography, refer to the publications listed in A70 35-2.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: