- Title: HM VISIT TO THE GRAND FLEET [Main Title]
- Film Number: IWM 556
- Other titles: HIS MAJESTY'S VISIT TO HIS GRAND FLEET [Alternative Title]
- Summary: King George V's visit to the Fleet at Scapa Flow in June 1917, and investiture of Jutland honours.
- Description: (Reel 1) Opening pan across fleet anchorage (note HMS Neptune). The King is seen onboard a succession of battleships, watching marchpasts of the crews - HMS Queen Elizabeth (Colossus Class in background), HMS King George V and Ajax of Second Battle Squadron, HMS Barham and Hercules. Various senior officers are seen waiting, or in company with the King. The emphasis is upon the personalities involved, and there are few general views or details of the ships, except for some close-ups of gun turrets. (Reel 2) The King inspects a minesweeping trawler and HMS Plassy, before going onboard HMS Princess Royal for the investiture ceremony. Pakenham, Napier, Alexander-Sinclair, and Bruce receive honours. March round of officers and men. High-angle medium shot as the King, standing on top of B turret, receives the cheers of the crew massed on the focsle. Final low-angle medium close-up of fluttering White Ensign. (Reel 3) Miscellaneous scenes after the investiture. Medium shot group of officers and men around after turrets. Sturdee with KCMG. Beatty, Evan-Thomas and Nicholson with CBs. The King and Sturdee converse. Pan over Beatty's staff (including Japanese naval representative), assembled for royal presentation. Admiral de Robeck talks with his staff. Beatty on the quarterdeck. Admiral Madden poses with staff - Madden reads a despatch, looks through his telescope, etc. Ratings cheer HM. Crew leaves the focsle and disperses after applauding the King. Sturdee, the King, Prince Albert and Lord Cromer stroll beneath 4-inch casements. The party inspects a minesweeping drifter. Medium shot group - Beatty, Phillimore, Japanese officers. US Navy shore party stands at ease.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1914-1918
- Production Date: 1917-07
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Admiralty (Production sponsor) Engholm, F W (Production company) Engholm, F W (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Beatty, David Richard (person) George V, King (person) George VI, King (person) Baring, Rowland Thomas (2nd Earl of Cromer) (person) De Robeck, John Michael (person) Goodenough, William E (person) Evan-Thomas, Hugh (person) Madden, Charles E (person) Phillimore, Richard F (person) Sturdee, Frederick Charles Doveton (person) Cust, Charles (person) Pakenham, William Christopher (person) Napier, Trevylyan Dacres Willes (person) Alexander-Sinclair, Edwyn Sinclair (person) Bruce, Henry H (person) Hill (Deputy Surgeon General) (person) Royal Navy, Battle Sqdn 2 (regiment/service) Royal Navy, Queen Elizabeth (regiment/service) Royal Navy, King George V (regiment/service) Royal Navy, AJAX (HMS), light cruiser (regiment/service) Royal Navy, BARHAM (HMS), battleship (regiment/service) Royal Navy, Hercules (regiment/service) Royal Navy, Plassy (regiment/service) Royal Navy, Neptune (regiment/service) Royal Navy, Princess Royal (regiment/service)
- Keywords: ships, British naval - battleship: Neptune (object name) ships, British naval - battleship: Queen Elizabeth (object name) ships, British naval - battleship: Princess Royal (object name) ships, British naval - battleship: Barham (object name) ships, British naval - battleship: King George V Class (object name) ships, British naval - battleship: Colossus Class (object name) ships, British naval - private: steam pinnace (object name) animals, mammals: dog (mascot) (object name) animals, mammals: cat (mascot) (object name) delegations, Japanese international - military (object name) delegations, British national - state (object name) equipment, British naval - personal: telescope (object name) ceremonies, British - event-related: investiture (Jutland honours) (object name) 12/3(261.2).53 (event) GB, Scotland & Scapa Flow, Orkney (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: English Subtitle language: English
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 3 Footage: 2252 ft; Running time: 38 mins
- Notes: Title: the Film and Video Archive holds a copy of the programme for a screening of this film (with another) at the Scala Theatre on 12 July 1917. Note that the title on the programme is HIS MAJESTY'S VISIT TO HIS GRAND FLEET.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: