IWM Film website upgrade: self-selection and authorised download of HD clips. More info
By continuing to use this site without changing your cookie settings,
and for us to access our cookies on your device.
Other titles:WESTLAND AIRCRAFT FILM COLLECTION [Allocated Series Title]
Summary: Technical footage of the Fairey Rotodyne, including assembly and installation of the rotors.
Description: Sequence Script.
1. Opening sequence. This sequence shows the aircraft in its latest form, flying as an air liner.
2. Transporting the wings and fuselage to White Waltham and assembling aircraft in the new experimental hangar complete with blade fixing sequence.
3. Details of rotor head construction, blade construction and tip jets.
4. Shots showing engine installation, undercarriage, front doors, freight doors, control runs and interim shots of the cockpit.
5. Sequence on structural testing of blade roots and swashplates; rotor and tail assembly tests in the wind tunnel; dynamic tests.
6. Ground resonance tests.
7. Spinning rigs at White Waltham and noise suppression site. Sequence of various silencers used.
8. Boscombe Down test site using only two blades, then four blades.
9. Tied-down tests at White Waltham.
10 First flight: take-off, hover and slow cruise around the airfield dissolves into sequence of aircraft flying today.