CASUALTIES FROM NORMANDY INVASION BEACHES RETURN TO THE UK (PART 4) [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: CASUALTIES FROM NORMANDY INVASION BEACHES RETURN TO THE UK (PART 4) [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: A70 29-3
- Other titles:
- Summary: Casualties from 'Gold' Beach arrive back in England.
- Description: I. Walking wounded make their way along the pier at HMS Porcupine, Gosport, and are helped aboard a lorry which will take them to an advanced dressing post (cap badges and shoulder unit flashes on many of the casualties identify them as being members of the 5th East Yorkshire Regiment, 6th Green Howards and No 9 Beach Group). II. Recently landed casualties, some covered in blankets, climb up a gangway onto the pier. A group of wounded servicemen suffer the attentions of the cameraman gladly - with one exception - while swapping cigarettes and possibly congratulating each other for their temporary escape from the war. Visible in the background as walking wounded make their way along the pier is a Royal Navy monitor, HMS Abercrombie.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-06-07
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Directorate of Public Relations, War Office (Production sponsor) Army Film and Photographic Unit (Production company) Palmer, F A W (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: British Army, Yorkshire Regiment, East, 5th Battalion (regiment/service) British Army, Yorkshire Regiment, Green Howards, 6th Battalion (regiment/service) Royal Navy, Porcupine (regiment/service) Royal Navy, ABERCROMBIE (HMS), monitor (regiment/service)
- Keywords: medical, British military - movement (object name) casualties, British wounded (object name) ships, British naval - gunship: Abercrombie (object name) 12/5(261.22).7 [ Operation Neptune] (event) GB, England & Gosport, Hants <HMS Porcupine> (geography) camera (concept)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Footage: 193 ft; Running time: 2 mins
- Notes: Technical: A70 29 and A70 30 are held on the same reel.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: