VULTEE VENGEANCE DIVEBOMBERS OPERATED BY INDIAN AIR FORCE 8 SQUADRON [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: VULTEE VENGEANCE DIVEBOMBERS OPERATED BY INDIAN AIR FORCE 8 SQUADRON [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ABY 3
- Other titles: ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Indian Air Force Vultee Vengeance divebombers being serviced before taking off for operations in dusty conditions at Joari and Mamur (Mamura) airfields, India.
- Description: Crew of aircraft EZ977 boarding and the rear gunner demonstrates the flexible mounting of his twin machine guns. Other aircrew are amused by the antics of a pet monkey. During air-to-air footage one aircraft makes a (possibly mock) divebombing attack.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-03-02
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Air Ministry, Directorate of Public Relations (Production sponsor) Royal Air Force Film Production Unit (Production company) McKee, J L (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Indian Air Force, 8 Squadron (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Joari, Bengal Province, India (geography) Mamur, Bengal Province, India (geography) Bomber operations, Air operations over Burma, Burma 1942-1945, Second World War (event) Aerial Warfare (theme) India 1939-1945 (theme) Far East 1939-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 571 ft; Running time: 7 minutes
- Notes: The cameraman of this piece, Warrant Officer John Laing McKee, was killed on 21 January 1945. Flying in a Liberator heavy bomber of RAF 99 Squadron supporting the landings on Ramree Island, McKee's aircraft collided with another Liberator of the same squadron and both disintegrated. All aboard both aircraft were killed. McKee, and the nineteen other aircrew of the two bombers, are buried in the CWGC Maynamati War Cemetery, near Comilla in Bangladesh.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
ABY 48 (INDIAN AIR FORCE VULTEE VENGEANCE DIVEBOMBERS IN ACTION [Allocated Title])