RAF HAWKER HURRICANE OPERATIONS ON THE IMPHAL FRONT, INDIA [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: RAF HAWKER HURRICANE OPERATIONS ON THE IMPHAL FRONT, INDIA [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ABY 18
- Other titles: ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Footage of RAF Hawker Hurricane pilots preparing for an attack on Japanese positions on the Imphal front, India.
- Description: Aerial view of airfield with Hurricane taking off. Air-to-air and air-to-ground footage. Pilots being briefed before heading for their aircraft. One British pilot wearing a kukri fastens on a money belt while another straps in and is handed his helmet. Hurricanes taxiing past each other. Pilots studying photographs. Hurricanes in flight. Series of aircraft making low passes near the camera before hauling off and climbing steeply. More Hurricanes taxiing. RAF armourers 'bombing up' a Hurricane with 250-lb bombs and 0.303-inch ammunition. Hurricanes taxiing from control tower. Six Hurricanes flying three-abreast in a V-shaped 'vic' formation. Airmen walk past a building with dog. More very low fly-bys.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-08-12
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Air Ministry, Directorate of Public Relations (Production sponsor) Royal Air Force Film Production Unit (Production company) Goozee, S (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Royal Air Force (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Imphal, Manipur, India (geography) Fighter operations, Air operations over Burma, Burma 1942-1945, Second World War (event) Aerial Warfare (theme) Royal Air Force 1939-1945 (theme) India 1939-1945 (theme) Far East 1939-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 640 ft; Running time: 8 minutes
- Notes: Dopesheet describes a precision attack on a Japanese-occupied Buddhist temple, though this attack not seen in this film. Two aircraft identifiable, Hurricanes LD468 'S' and LD232. 'X', 'N', 'H', 'T' and 'Q' also seen, presumably of same squadron. No slates, date from dopesheet. For other Hurricane ground attack footage, see ABY 51.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
ABY 78 (HURRICANE GROUND ATTACK OPERATIONS FROM ONBAUK AIRSTRIP, ON THE RIVER IRRAWADDY, BURMA [Allocated Title])