- Title: RAF VICKERS WELLINGTON MEDIUM BOMBERS ON THE INDO-BURMA BORDER [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ABY 40
- Other titles: ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Air Commodore Mellersh RAF, Air Commander Strategic Air Force, Eastern Air Command and Air Vice Marshal Stevens of the Royal Canadian Air Force address airmen on the last operations of Vickers Wellington aircraft at Jessore, Bengal, India.
- Description: Air Commodore Mellersh seen addressing airmen, probably of RAF 99 Squadron. The airmen are dismissed. The squadron poses for a group photograph, with a Wellington aircraft in the background. Air Commodore Mellersh seen joking with the airmen. Crew board a Wellington. Ground crew shown winding over an aircraft's engines. Another shot of aircrew boarding an aircraft, with one man seen wearing a kukri. Engines spinning. A Wellington taxis towards camera. Second view of Wellington taxiing close past camera, with gunner visible in rear turret. Wellington takes off. A group of senior officers get into a car. Posed group in front of Wellington. Officers talking with airmen. Shot of the intelligence block at Jessore airfield.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Air Ministry, Directorate of Public Relations (Production sponsor) Royal Air Force Film Production Unit (Production company) Hughes, H R (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Mellersh, Francis John William (person) Stevens, Cecil Alfred (person) Royal Air Force, 99 Squadron (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Jessore, Bengal Province, India (geography) Bomber operations, Air operations over Burma, Burma 1942-1945, Second World War (event) Aerial Warfare (theme) Royal Air Force 1939-1945 (theme) India 1939-1945 (theme) Far East 1939-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 288 ft; Running time: 4 minutes
- Notes: Jessore now in Bangladesh. Issues in dating this piece. One dopesheet dated 18/10/1944, another 8/1944. No dates on slates. Withdrawal of Wellingtons began 9/1944, but not complete until 11/1944. Likely this film dates from mid-August 1944. One aircraft identifiable, Wellington HZ-141 'N'. See below for related photographs.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
CI 826 (ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN THE FAR EAST, 1941-1945.) CF 132 (ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN THE FAR EAST, 1941-1945.) CF 135 (ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN THE FAR EAST, 1941-1945.) CI 643 (ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN THE FAR EAST, 1941-1945.) CI 712 (ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN THE FAR EAST, 1941-1945.) CI 713 (ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN THE FAR EAST, 1941-1945.)