AIR MARSHAL CORYTON VISITS AN RAF THUNDERBOLT SQUADRON [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: AIR MARSHAL CORYTON VISITS AN RAF THUNDERBOLT SQUADRON [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ABY 41
- Other titles: ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Air Marshal Coryton and Air Commodore the Earl of Bandon visit an RAF Thunderbolt squadron before meeting General Stratemeyer, US Army Air Force, commander of Eastern Air Command.
- Description: Thunderbolts taxiing. An airman sits on the port wing of the leading aircraft. Thunderbolts taxi past camera. One aircraft named 'Mongoose II' seen carrying drop tank with graffiti reading 'Tojo's a yellow rat from Carl and Fred'. More Thunderbolts taxiing. Air Marshal Coryton and Air Commodore Bandon seated in a tent. Two Spitfires taking off. A line of Thunderbolts at dispersal. One pilot standing on the wing of his aircraft talks to his squadron intelligence officer. Australian pilots sit on a heap of sand with a Thunderbolt in the background, talking about the raid. A Thunderbolt with its engine cowling off, showing the Pratt & Whitney R-2800 Double Wasp engine behind. Thunderbolts taxiing. Coryton and Bandon with General Stratemeyer. Stratemeyer leaving by aircraft. Thunderbolt landing. Aircraft overhead. Officers watch a group of aircraft in the distance.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-10-18
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Air Ministry, Directorate of Public Relations (Production sponsor) Royal Air Force Film Production Unit (Production company) Lang, T W (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Coryton, Alec (person) Stratemeyer, George (person) Bernard, Percy (person) Royal Air Force (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Fighter operations, Air operations over Burma, Burma 1942-1945, Second World War (event) Aerial Warfare (theme) United States Air Forces 1939-1945 (theme) Royal Air Force 1939-1945 (theme) Far East 1939-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 220 ft; Running time: 3 mins
- Notes: No slates seen, no location or squadron markings visible. Date of filming likely to be earlier than that given above.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: