FAREWELL VISIT BY AIR MARSHAL SIR RICHARD PIERSE TO IMPHAL [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: FAREWELL VISIT BY AIR MARSHAL SIR RICHARD PIERSE TO IMPHAL [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ABY 44
- Other titles: ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Air Marshal Peirse, Air Commander-in-Chief South East Asia Command, makes a farewell inspection of RAF and Indian Air Force squadrons and related personnel before his return to England.
- Description: United States Army Air Force Mitchell aircraft taxiing. Air Marshal Peirse disemplanes and is greeted by the Air Officer Commanding 221 Group RAF, acting-Air Vice Marshal Vincent. Peirse inspects the guard of honour from the RAF Regiment. Inspects Indian Air Force 1 Squadron, accompanied by their commanding officer, Squadron Leader Arjan Singh DFC. Second angles of previous footage. Peirse seen taking the salute of the RAF Regiment guard of honour, who are presenting arms. Peirse inspects the RAF Regiment before inspecting the Indian squadron. Peirse addressed the squadron with a Hawker Hurricane in background. Peirse at Tullihall (Tulihal) airstrip with RAF 42 Squadron and RAF 60 Squadron on parade, also RAF field hospital. While inspecting one of the squadrons a Bristol Beaufighter takes off in the background. Shots of Peirse inspecting the squadrons. One shot with Vickers Wellington medium bomber in background.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-11-09
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Air Ministry, Directorate of Public Relations (Production sponsor) Royal Air Force Film Production Unit (Production company) Goozee, S (Production individual) Clot, Dennis Francis Emile1919-07-04 (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Peirse, Richard Edmund Charles (person) Vincent, Stanley Flamank (person) Singh, Arjan (person) Royal Air Force, 42 Squadron (regiment/service) Royal Air Force, 60 Squadron (regiment/service) Royal Air Force, Royal Air Force Regiment (regiment/service) Indian Air Force, 1 Squadron (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Imphal, Manipur, India (geography) Tulihal airstrip, Imphal, Manipur, India (geography) Burma 1942-1945, Second World War (event) Royal Air Force 1939-1945 (theme) Far East 1939-1945 (theme) India 1939-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 372 ft; Running time: 5 minutes
- Notes: Date from slates. Dopesheet dated 26 November 1944. Peirse left India on 28 November 1944 with Lady Auchinleck in somewhat scandalous circumstances.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: