PROCESSION, AIR SHOW AND FOOTBALL MATCH AT COLUMBO, CEYLON [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: PROCESSION, AIR SHOW AND FOOTBALL MATCH AT COLUMBO, CEYLON [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ABY 46
- Other titles: ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Footage of a procession through Columbo, capital of Ceylon (Sri Lanka) followed by an air display and football match.
- Description: High angle shots from roof of Secretariat building of procession moving though Columbo with civilians all around. Twelve Spitfire Mk VIII's in four three-aircraft 'vics' fly over the camera. One aircraft breaks to the left and peels off. Spitfires firing at a target a short distance offshore, with plumes of water from impacts. Spitfires in arrow formation. Shots of the crowd, with locals and British servicemen intermingled. Sixteen Chance-Vought Corsairs of the Fleet Air Arm seen in a triple-arrow formation. Another crowd shot. Corsairs firing at offshore target. Crowd shot showing boy holding union flag with British serviceman. Scenes of a joint RAF and Fleet Arm Air aircraft exhibition at Galle Face Green, with Fairey Barracuda and Corsair on display. Crowd shots. Football match - England versus 'the rest'. Various shots of crowd. Shot of Commander-in-Chief Admiral Sir Geoffrey Layton watching the match with other senior military and civilian dignitaries. More game footage, then presentation of the cup to England, the winners. Dopesheet remarks that the England team included six RAF men, including the captain (Todd of Wolverhampton Wanderers). City scenes showing banners declaring 'National Savings Week 11th - 18th November 1944'. Pan down to street with naval officers walking about.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-11-11
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Air Ministry, Directorate of Public Relations (Production sponsor) Royal Air Force Film Production Unit (Production company) Hughes, H R (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Royal Air Force (regiment/service) Layton, Geoffrey (person) Royal Navy, Fleet Air Arm (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Colombo, Ceylon (geography) Galle Face Green (geography) Burma 1942-1945, Second World War (event) Indian Ocean 1939-1945, Second World War (event) India 1939-1945 (theme) Far East 1939-1945 (theme) Royal Air Force 1939-1945 (theme) Fleet Air Arm 1939-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 409 ft; Running time: 5 minutes
- Notes: Dopesheet adds 'It has been remarked that [this film] ...demonstrate[s] the friendly relationship between us and the Ceylonese and their keen interest in helping [the] war effort'. Date from slates. Dopesheet dated 6/12/1944.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
Art.IWM PST 15948 (National Savings Week)