- Title: INDIAN AIR FORCE VULTEE VENGEANCE DIVEBOMBERS IN ACTION [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ABY 48
- Other titles: ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Scenes Vengeance divebombers of 8 Squadron Indian Air Force in action.
- Description: Exterior shot of a building, presumably the briefing room, with pilots leaving. Crew boarding a Vengeance. Pilot hands his parachute to a member of his ground crew before climbing aboard. Camera on wing of aircraft showing four Vengeances in line. Upward shot looking to pilot. Propellors spinning, ground crew pulls chocks away. Return to previous shot, aircraft rolls forward with starboard wing passing over camera. Aircraft taxis towards camera. Vengeances on runway. Aircraft take off. Various air-to-air shots of formations of aircraft up to six strong. Aircraft making divebombing attack with dive brakes open. A cloud of smoke with impacts. Vengeances overhead and passing over camera. More air-to-air and ground-to-air footage. Twelve Vengeances perform formation flyby before receding into the distance.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-12-06
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Air Ministry, Directorate of Public Relations (Production sponsor) Royal Air Force Film Production Unit (Production company) Layzell, R G (Production individual) Hughes, H R (Production individual) Connochie, T D (Production individual) Woodcock, Sidney Leslie1945-05-02Flight Lieutenant Sidney Leslie Woodcock, service number 175562, cameraman with No.3 Royal Air Force Film Production Unit. Killed in action 2 May 1945 while filming from a Mosquito of 110 Squadron RAF over Rangoon, Burma. Buried in Rangoon War Cemetery alongside his pilot, Flight Lieutenant John George Buchanan (415744) see [http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2261432 accessed 24 February 2011] (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Indian Air Force, 8 Squadron (regiment/service)
- Keywords: India (geography) Bomber operations, Air operations over Burma, Burma 1942-1945, Second World War (event) Aerial Warfare (theme) India 1939-1945 (theme) Far East 1939-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 369 ft; Running time: 5 minutes
- Notes: Squadron shown is Indian Air Force 8 Squadron. No slates. Likely this footage shot before the date given above, as this squadron reequipped with Spitfire Mk VIII's in November 1944. One of the cameramen of this piece, Flight Lieutenant Sidney Woodcock, was killed in action. He and his pilot, Flight Lieutenant J G Buchanan of RAF 110 Squadron, failed to return after a Mosquito sortie over Rangoon on 2 May 1945. They are buried in adjacent plots in the Commonwealth War Graves Commission's Rangoon War Cemetery.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
ABY 3 (VULTEE VENGEANCE DIVEBOMBERS OPERATED BY INDIAN AIR FORCE 8 SQUADRON [Allocated Title])