- Title: FIREPOWER DEMONSTRATION NEAR IMPHAL [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ABY 50
- Other titles: ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: A firepower demonstration near Imphal including mortar and shell fire, smoke screens and bombing by RAF Hawker Hurricanes.
- Description: Footage of a firepower demonstration. Hurricane flying over a ridge. Hurricanes dropping 250-lb and 500-lb bombs with 11-second delayed-action fuses. Smoke rising. Hurricane flying across shot. Impacts on the ground. Thickening smoke. Impacts from shelling and trench mortar fire. Low pass by Hurricane. Infantry advancing through smoke. Hurricanes laying smoke screen. Smoke cloud drifiting. Smoke trails dropping vertically from aircraft.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-10-19
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Air Ministry, Directorate of Public Relations (Production sponsor) Royal Air Force Film Production Unit (Production company) Goozee, S (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Royal Air Force (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Imphal, Manipur, India (geography) British Army 1939-1945 (theme) Royal Air Force 1939-1945 (theme) Far East 1939-1945 (theme) India 1939-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 266 ft; Running time: 3 mins
- Notes: Dates from slate. Dopesheet dated 14/12/1944. See also ABY 52.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
ABY 78 (HURRICANE GROUND ATTACK OPERATIONS FROM ONBAUK AIRSTRIP, ON THE RIVER IRRAWADDY, BURMA [Allocated Title]) ABY 52 (RAF CLOSE AIR SUPPORT DEMONSTRATION NEAR BISHENPUR, MANIPUR, INDIA [Allocated Title])