RAF ATHLETIC MEETING AT CHARBATIA, NORTH OF CUTTACK, ORISSA, INDIA [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: RAF ATHLETIC MEETING AT CHARBATIA, NORTH OF CUTTACK, ORISSA, INDIA [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ABY 56
- Other titles: ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Indians and Britons compete at an inter-Service athletics meeting, hosted by the RAF at Charbatia, north of Cuttack, Orissa, India.
- Description: VIP's watching the competition. A race. Men on the starting line for a relay race which an Indian man wins. Spectators watching, including a senior RAF officer and Sir Hawthorn Lewis (Governor of Orissa) and Lady Lewis. Pilot Officer Sid Cozens, a famous British racing cyclist, keeps score. The long jump competition - one competitor named as Signalman Davies. A race starting. Shot putting. Adjudicators measure the distance. Several more shot putters seen, including close-up of Leading Aircraftman Collier of No. 12 Mobile Signals Unit. An Indian man crosses the finish line first in a race. Several attempts at the high jump before a competitor succesfully scissor-kicks over the bar. Adjudicators raising the bar. Distant shot of high jump with spectators in foreground. Crowd watching a race. Sergeant Gornal [sic] of Liverpool smokes a pipe while watching the events. Hearty cheering led by Leading Aircraftman Collier. Two men in sunglasses, named on dopesheet as Sergeants Doherty and Robinson of Canada and Barrow-in-Furness respectively. Two runners. An Indian man, Guncha Gul, wins the mile. Close-up on Leading Aircraftman Humphries of Middlesbrough, Yorkshire, showing him 'out of breath but enjoying things'.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-12-23
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Air Ministry, Directorate of Public Relations (Production sponsor) Royal Air Force Film Production Unit (Production company) Lang, T W (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Royal Air Force (regiment/service) Indian Army, 10th Baluch Regiment (regiment/service) Royal Air Force, 200 Squadron (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Charbatia, Orissa, India (geography) Welfare and recreational activities and services, Burma 1942-1945, Second World War (event) Royal Air Force 1939-1945 (theme) Far East 1939-1945 (theme) India 1939-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 282 ft; Running time: 4 minutes
- Notes: Dopesheet notes that representatives of the following units took part: the Baluch Regiment; No. 62 Fighter Control Section; Indian Air Force; 12 Mobile Signals Unit; Air Formation Signals; Signals; Motor Transport; RAF 200 Squadron. Date from slates. Dopesheet dated 16/1/1945 and written after the event.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: