- Title: WAAF PERSONNEL ARRIVE BY AIR IN CEYLON [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ABY 58
- Other titles: ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Personnel of the Women's Auxiliary Air Force arrive by air at an RAF airfield in Ceylon (Sri Lanka).
- Description: Distant shot of RAF Douglas Dakota transport aircraft, serial FL595 landing. Another passes in front of camera. The Dakota taxis to dispersal, directed by hand signals from an airman. The first WAAF, a Wing Officer wearing a pair of sunglasses, disemplanes. An RAF Sergeant helps other WAAFs down from the plane. Group shot of gathered WAAFs. Close-up of bemused-looking WAAF. An RAF navigator seen with a group of WAAFs. WAAFs walking to a waiting vehicle. Most of the group are non-commissioned ranks. In the background US Army Air Force Dakotas and B-25 Mitchells can be seen. An RAF Sergeant helps the WAAFs board a lorry. Lorry drives off and the Sergeant, riding on the back, turns to wave and a number of WAAFs do likewise.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1945-01-16
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Air Ministry, Directorate of Public Relations (Production sponsor) Royal Air Force Film Production Unit (Production company) Hughes, H R (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Royal Air Force (regiment/service) Royal Air Force, Women's Auxiliary Air Force (regiment/service) United States Army Air Forces (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Ceylon (geography) Royal Air Force 1939-1945 (theme) Far East 1939-1945 (theme) India 1939-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 185 ft; Running time: 3 mins
- Notes: For other film relating to the WAAFs, see related items. No slates, date from dopesheet likely to be inaccurate.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
ABY 53 (THE FIRST CONTINGENT OF THE WOMEN'S AUXILIARY AIR FORCE ARRIVES IN INDIA [Allocated Title]) ABY 73 (SO THIS IS INDIA [Allocated Title]) ABY 117 (WAAFs AT WORK AND PLAY IN INDIA [Allocated Title]) ABY 175 (LADY WELSH VISITS CALCUTTA [Allocated Title])