LORD LOUIS MOUNTBATTEN VISITS AN AIRSTRIP NEAR MANDALAY, BURMA [Allocated Title]
- Title: LORD LOUIS MOUNTBATTEN VISITS AN AIRSTRIP NEAR MANDALAY, BURMA [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ABY 66
- Other titles: ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Lord Mountbatten visits a forward airstrip near Mandalay, with scenes of Hawker Hurricane operations and the RAF Regiment.
- Description: Hawker Hurricane AW:Z of RAF 42 Squadron lands on a dusty forward airstrip. A second Hurricane lands. Hurricanes parked and camouflaged at concealed dispersal. Two airmen standing by a jeep are joined by two more. Two of the airmen wear kukris on their belts, and one of them a pistol. Close-up on the chatting airmen. RAF Regiment airmen leaving a trench covered with a bamboo and grass basha. Close-up on airmen leaving. Close-up on 'RAF Regiment' insignia on an airman's bush hat. Group of men under the wing of a Douglas Dakota transport aircraft. Lord Mountbatten being introduced to a group of airmen. Mountbatten talking with Lieutenant-General Stopford (General Officer Commanding XXXIII Indian Corps) beside a jeep. Chatting with men. Mountbatten boards his personal Dakota (the highly-polished bare metal 'Hapgift'), which starts to taxi away.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1945-01-24
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Air Ministry, Directorate of Public Relations (Production sponsor) Royal Air Force Film Production Unit (Production company) Woodcock, Sidney Leslie1945-05-02Flight Lieutenant Sidney Leslie Woodcock, service number 175562, cameraman with No.3 Royal Air Force Film Production Unit. Killed in action 2 May 1945 while filming from a Mosquito of 110 Squadron RAF over Rangoon, Burma. Buried in Rangoon War Cemetery alongside his pilot, Flight Lieutenant John George Buchanan (415744) see [http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2261432 accessed 24 February 2011] (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Mountbatten, Louis (Earl) (person) Stopford, Montagu George North (person) Royal Air Force, 42 Squadron (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Onbauk, Burma (geography) Mandalay, Burma (geography) Tabingaung, Burma (geography) Fighter operations, Air operations over Burma, Burma 1942-1945, Second World War (event) Royal Air Force 1939-1945 (theme) Far East 1939-1945 (theme) India 1939-1945 (theme) United States Air Forces 1939-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 235 ft; Running time: 3 mins
- Notes: Footage from under aircraft's wing badly shadowed and somewhat indistinct. Likely that the Hurricane and RAF Regiment footage was shot on an airstrip at Shwebo (likely Onbauk), while Mountbatten is seen visiting Tabingaung. Annotation on dopesheet notes: 'Sent England 10/2/1945'. The cameraman of this piece, Flight Lieutenant Sidney Woodcock, was killed in action. He and his pilot, Flight Lieutenant J G Buchanan of RAF 110 Squadron, failed to return after a Mosquito sortie over Rangoon on 2 May 1945. They are buried in adjacent plots in the Commonwealth War Graves Commission's Rangoon War Cemetery.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
ABY 98 (HAWKER HURRICANE OPERATIONS BY RAF 42 SQUADRON AT ONBAUK [Allocated Title]) SE 1800A (THE WAR IN THE FAR EAST: THE BURMA CAMPAIGN 1941-1945) SEU 9121 (BRITISH GENERALS 1939-1945) CF 263 (ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN THE FAR EAST, 1941-1945.)