HAWKER HURRICANE OPERATIONS BY RAF 42 SQUADRON AT ONBAUK [Allocated Title]
- Title: HAWKER HURRICANE OPERATIONS BY RAF 42 SQUADRON AT ONBAUK [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ABY 98
- Other titles: ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: RAF 42 Squadron are briefed before a sortie from Onbauk forward airstrip, near Shwebo, Burma.
- Description: Taxiing RAF Hawker Hurricane fighter-bombers kick up clouds of dust at Onbauk forward airstrip. Hurricane AW:H of RAF 42 Squadron taxiing as seen through the branches of a fallen tree. Two more Hurricanes taxiing. Hurricane 'Y' coming in to land. Hurricane Mk IV AW:G (serial KW921) taxiing with AW:K in the background. AW:G taxis away from camera. Six Hurricanes overhead; panning left to frame the shot with a Hurricane's engine cowling. Pilots are briefed by an Air Liaison Officer (ALO) before a sortie. Close-up on the ALO. Close-ups on the pilots listening to the briefing and looking at their maps. Some of the pilots are smoking. Second close-up on ALO. He points out the target area on a map. A Hurricane, possibly AW:Q, taxis past camera. Eight Hurricanes in flight.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1945-01
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Air Ministry, Directorate of Public Relations (Production sponsor) Royal Air Force Film Production Unit (Production company) Goozee, S (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Royal Air Force, 42 Squadron (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Onbauk, Burma (geography) Fighter operations, Air operations over Burma, Burma 1942-1945, Second World War (event) Royal Air Force 1939-1945 (theme) Far East 1939-1945 (theme) Burma 1942-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 193 ft; Running time: 3 mins
- Notes: RAF 42 Squadron's activities are unusually well covered. See film and photo references below. No slates. Dopesheet gives date as 23/3/1945, but this is likely to be somewhat inaccurate. This squadron was based at Onbauk January-March 1945; shooting date based on adjacent films in the series likely to be late January-February 1945. Onbauk misspelled 'Ondauk' on dopesheet. Possible confusion with 'Ondaw', the squadron's next forward base from March 1945.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
ABY 51 (GROUND ATTACK, AIR SUPPLY AND LEAFLET OPERATIONS BY HAWKER HURRICANES OF RAF 42 SQUADRON OVER BURMA [Allocated Title]) ABY 64 (ADVANCED AIRSTRIPS NEAR MANDALAY [Allocated Title]) ABY 66 (LORD LOUIS MOUNTBATTEN VISITS AN AIRSTRIP NEAR MANDALAY, BURMA [Allocated Title]) CF 263 (ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN THE FAR EAST, 1941-1945.)