- Title: SO THIS IS INDIA: ROMAN CATHOLIC SERVICE IN PAGODA AT SADAUNG, BURMA [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ABY 79
- Other titles: ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Scenes of a Roman Catholic Mass held in a pagoda at Sadaung, Burma.
- Description: Pagoda spires. Several takes of an RAF Bristol Beaufighter passing low overhead, seen through trees. An open-sided pagoda. A sign reads 'RC Chapel. Mass 1800 hrs each Sunday. Rev T Sweeney, RC Chaplain'. Men entering the pagoda, some of them kneeling to acknowledge the altar. Various scenes of the service in progress, taken from a respectful distance. Airmen on their knees in prayer. The priest preparing the sacrament and giving Holy Communion to the airmen. Airmen kneeling. Airmen getting up and leaving the 'church'.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1945-02-23
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Air Ministry, Directorate of Public Relations (Production sponsor) Royal Air Force Film Production Unit (Production company) Goozee, S (Production individual) Woodcock, Sidney Leslie1945-05-02Flight Lieutenant Sidney Leslie Woodcock, service number 175562, cameraman with No.3 Royal Air Force Film Production Unit. Killed in action 2 May 1945 while filming from a Mosquito of 110 Squadron RAF over Rangoon, Burma. Buried in Rangoon War Cemetery alongside his pilot, Flight Lieutenant John George Buchanan (415744) see [http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2261432 accessed 24 February 2011] (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Royal Air Force, 906 Wing (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Sadaung, Burma (geography) Burma 1942-1945, Second World War (event) Royal Air Force 1939-1945 (theme) Far East 1939-1945 (theme) India 1939-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 143 ft; Running time: 2 mins
- Notes: Location is Wing HQ (likely RAF 906 Wing) at Sadaung, Burma. Mindful of religious sensitivities, a pencil annotation on dopesheet instructs: 'Not for release in India'. For more footage from 'So This Is India' and religious observance in this theatre, see references below. Photographs of this service and the vicinty of Wing HQ at Sadaung under references below. One of the cameramen of this piece, Flight Lieutenant Sidney Woodcock, was killed in action. He and his pilot, Flight Lieutenant J G Buchanan of RAF 110 Squadron, failed to return after a Mosquito sortie over Rangoon on 2 May 1945. They are buried in adjacent plots in the Commonwealth War Graves Commission's Rangoon War Cemetery.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
ABY 73 (SO THIS IS INDIA [Allocated Title]) ABY 74 (SO THIS IS INDIA - ADDITIONAL FOOTAGE [Allocated Title]) ABY 90 (SO THIS IS INDIA - AN RAF THUNDERBOLT SQUADRON MOVES FROM BENGAL TO IMPHAL VALLEY, INDIA [Allocated Title]) ABY 91 (SO THIS IS INDIA - AIRCRAFTMAN MURRAY GOES FORWARD [Allocated Title]) ABY 92 (SO THIS IS INDIA - AIRCRAFTMAN FLOWER ARRIVES AT RAF REDHILLS LAKE, MADRAS, INDIA [Allocated Title]) ABY 105 (SO THIS IS INDIA - AIRMEN ON LEAVE IN DARJEELING [Allocated Title]) ABY 109 (SO THIS IS INDIA - TRAIN SEQUENCE [Allocated Title]) ABY 26 (RAF BUILD THEIR OWN CHURCH AT AGARTALA, BENGAL, INDIA [Allocated Title]) CF 394 (ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN THE FAR EAST, 1941-1945)