- Title: PATRICIA BURKE ENTERTAINS AN RAF THUNDERBOLT SQUADRON [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ABY 84
- Other titles: ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: British actress Patricia Burke, serving with the Entertainments National Service Association (ENSA), entertains airmen of an RAF Thunderbolt squadron.
- Description: Patricia Burke drives a jeep up to a waiting crowd of airmen near a parked Thunderbolt Mk I of RAF 135 Squadron. She is lifted bodily up onto the wing of the Thunderbolt by two airmen, and laughs while her accompaniest struggles to climb up to join her. Singing to ukulele accompaniment. Men applauding. She tweaks the hat of an American airman.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1945
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Air Ministry, Directorate of Public Relations (Production sponsor) Royal Air Force Film Production Unit (Production company)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Entertainments National Service Association (regiment/service) Burke, Patricia Rosa Moore (person) Royal Air Force, 30 Squadron (regiment/service) Royal Air Force, 135 Squadron (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Cox's Bazaar, Bengal Province, India (geography) Jumchar, Bengal Province, India (geography) Welfare and recreational activities and services, Burma 1942-1945, Second World War (event) Royal Air Force 1939-1945 (theme) Far East 1939-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 95 ft; Running time: 2 mins
- Notes: See related items below for film and photographs of other performances by Patricia Burke, and other ENSA members, in this theatre. Dopesheet refers to RAF 30 Squadron, but marking on Thunderbolt (WK) suggests RAF 135 Squadron. Dopesheet also refers to Cox's Bazaar, but both of these squadrons were based at Jumchar by this point. No date on dopesheet. Likely date late February or early March 1945. Also no cameraman named.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
ABY 71 (MEMBERS OF ENSA PERFORM FOR RAF AIRMEN ON TABINGAUNG AIRSTRIP, BURMA [Allocated Title]) ABY 85 (PATRICIA BURKE ENTERTAINS AN RAF SPITFIRE SQUADRON AT SADAUNG [Allocated Title]) ABY 89 (GEORGE FORMBY'S ENSA PARTY, CEYLON 1945 [Allocated Title]) JFU 45 (PATRICIA BURKE PERFORMS FOR BRITISH TROOPS AT AKYAB [Allocated Title]) CF 374 (ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN THE FAR EAST, 1941-1945)