- Title: SO THIS IS INDIA - TRAIN SEQUENCE [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ABY 109
- Other titles: ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Short section of footage of a railway locomotive for 'So This Is India'.
- Description: A train steams towards camera and passes very close; drivers or stokers leaning from the footplate. The train pulls into Karaghpur station (Bengal, India) and comes to a halt. Local Indian bearers rush to take the baggage. A carriage marked 'Nagpur' (the largest city in central India). A number of British Army officers pass the camera. Series of air-to-ground shots of the locomotive underway, apparently on its way to Howrah Station, Calcutta, shot from a light aircraft such as a Sentinel, Auster or Argus. Distant shot of Calcutta with the spires of the Victoria Memorial visible. Ground medium shot; train passes camera right-to-left. A local Indian man closes a level crossing as a man driving a bullock cart approaches.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1945
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Air Ministry, Directorate of Public Relations (Production sponsor) Royal Air Force Film Production Unit (Production company) Layzell, R G (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Royal Air Force (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Calcutta, North East India, India (geography) Burma 1942-1945, Second World War (event) Royal Air Force 1939-1945 (theme) Far East 1939-1945 (theme) Burma 1942-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 167 ft; Running time: 2 mins
- Notes: This film part of a multi-part film entitled 'So This Is India'. See related items below. Dopesheet undated and no slates.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
ABY 73 (SO THIS IS INDIA [Allocated Title]) ABY 74 (SO THIS IS INDIA - ADDITIONAL FOOTAGE [Allocated Title]) ABY 79 (SO THIS IS INDIA: ROMAN CATHOLIC SERVICE IN PAGODA AT SADAUNG, BURMA [Allocated Title]) ABY 90 (SO THIS IS INDIA - AN RAF THUNDERBOLT SQUADRON MOVES FROM BENGAL TO IMPHAL VALLEY, INDIA [Allocated Title]) ABY 91 (SO THIS IS INDIA - AIRCRAFTMAN MURRAY GOES FORWARD [Allocated Title]) ABY 92 (SO THIS IS INDIA - AIRCRAFTMAN FLOWER ARRIVES AT RAF REDHILLS LAKE, MADRAS, INDIA [Allocated Title]) ABY 105 (SO THIS IS INDIA - AIRMEN ON LEAVE IN DARJEELING [Allocated Title]) APY 37 (LIFE IN AIR COMMAND SOUTH EAST ASIA [Main Title])