- Title: ATTACK ON ENEMY AIRSTRIP IN SUMATRA [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ABY 129
- Other titles: ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: In one of the last bombing raids of the war, RAF Consolidated Liberator heavy bombers attack a Japanese airstrip near Benkulen (Bencoolen, Benkoelen), Sumatra, Dutch East Indies (Indonesia).
- Description: View from the portside gun position of an RAF Liberator heavy bomber low over the sea off Sumatra. View from starboard side. Sumatran coastline with trees and breaking surf. A tall, tree-covered outcropping south east of Benkoelen. Some rather unclear air-to-ground footage apparently of attack on a Japanese landing ground. The camera aircraft's outer starboard engine on fire. Coastline with surf recedes into the distance.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1945-08-07
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Air Ministry, Directorate of Public Relations (Production sponsor) Royal Air Force Film Production Unit (Production company) Elsee (Flying Officer) (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Royal Air Force, 99 Squadron (regiment/service) Royal Air Force, 356 Squadron (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Benkulen, Sumatra, Netherlands East Indies (geography) Burma 1942-1945, Second World War (event) Pacific War 1941-1945, Second World War (event) Bomber operations, Air operations over Burma, Burma 1942-1945, Second World War (event) Royal Air Force 1939-1945 (theme) Burma 1942-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 173 ft; Running time: 2 mins
- Notes: This operation was launched from an RAF strategic airstrip on the Cocos Islands, the construction of which can be seen in the film referenced below. This operation was mounted by four aircraft of RAF 99 Squadron and three from RAF 356 Squadron. No date on dopesheet and no slates. Date above the date of this operation from secondary sources.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
ABY 113 (BUILDING A STRATEGIC RAF JUNGLE AIRFIELD ON THE COCOS ISLANDS [Allocated Title])