- Title: JAPANESE EMISSARIES AT RANGOON [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ABY 131
- Other titles: ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Japanese emissaries arrive at Mingaladon airfield near Rangoon, Burma, to begin preliminary negotiations for surrender of Japanese forces in south east Asia.
- Description: Group of senior officers including Air Vice Marshal Bouchier (commander of RAF 221 Group), Lieutenant-General Sir Montagu Stopford (commander of 12th Army), Major-General Tuker (commander IV Corps) , and Major-General George Symes (commander of South Burma District) awaiting arrival of Japanese delegates. A Japanese Mitsubishi Ki-57 'Topsy' transport aircraft taxiing with crowds of British and Indian personnel. Japanese emissaries alighting from the aircraft led by Lieutenant-General Takazo Numata, Chief of Staff to Field Marshal Count Terauchi, and Rear Admiral Kaigye Chudo. They both carry swords. Japanese airmen are escorted from their aircraft. Numata salutes Symes. The delegation is escorted through the crowd by armed guards. The crowd examines the Japanese aircraft; their distinctive 'hinomaru' or red sun emblem has had a green cross superimposed to aid identification. Aerial view of the Japanese aircraft in flight escorted by Spitfires of RAF 273 Squadron. View of the airfield at Mingaladon. Interior shots; delegates escorted into a hall. Men, probably journalists, at work on typewriters.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1945-08-26
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Air Ministry, Directorate of Public Relations (Production sponsor) Royal Air Force Film Production Unit (Production company) Lang, T W (Production individual) Shears (Sergeant) (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Bouchier, Cecil Arthur (person) Stopford, Montagu George North (person) Numata, Takazo (person) Symes, George William (person) Tuker, Francis Ivan Simms (person) Chudo, Kaigye (person) Royal Air Force, 273 Squadron (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Rangoon, Burma (geography) Surrender of Japanese Forces 1945, Burma, Second World War (event) Royal Air Force 1939-1945 (theme) Japanese Army 1939-1945 (theme) Burma 1942-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 745 ft; Running time: 9 minutes
- Notes: Historical context: Japan lost the last of her armies in Burma in July 1945. Increasingly intense conventional bombing by the United States caused massive loss of life and wrecked war industries before culminating in atomic attacks on 6 August 1945 and 9 August 1945. In the same period the Soviet Union declared war and invaded Japanese-occupied Manchuria. The Japanese government surrendered unconditionally on 15 August 1945. Formal Japanese surrender in south east Asia would not be occur until 12 September 1945 in Singapore. The agreement signed in Rangoon was a preliminary step ordering local Japanese commanders to obey the instructions of British occupation forces. This facilitated the recovery of Allied prisoners of war and internees, a process known as RAPWI. As this event was filmed by several cameramen, some of the scenes above are repeated from various angles. This occasion recorded in still photographs referenced below.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
JFU 290 (JAPANESE EMISSARIES SIGN PRELIMINARY AGREEMENT IN RANGOON [Allocated Title]) JFU 291 (JAPANESE EMISSARIES SIGN PRELIMINARY AGREEMENT IN RANGOON [Allocated Title]) JFU 293 (JAPANESE ENVOYS SIGN TREATY AT RANGOON [Allocated Title]) JFU 294 (JAPANESE ENVOYS SIGN TREATY AT RANGOON [Allocated Title]) JFU 295 (JAPANESE ENVOYS DEPART AFTER SIGNING TREATY AT RANGOON [Allocated Title]) JFU 296 (JAPANESE ENVOYS DEPART AFTER SIGNING TREATY AT RANGOON [Allocated Title]) JFU 298 (JAPANESE EMISSARIES ARRIVE AT RANGOON [Allocated Title]) JFU 299 (JAPANESE EMISSARIES ARRIVE AT RANGOON [Allocated Title]) JFU 300 (JAPANESE EMISSARIES ARRIVE AT RANGOON [Allocated Title]) JFU 301 (JAPANESE EMISSARIES ARRIVE AT RANGOON [Allocated Title]) JFU 302 (JAPANESE EMISSARIES ARRIVE AT RANGOON [Allocated Title]) JFU 303 (JAPANESE EMISSARIES ARRIVE AT RANGOON [Allocated Title]) JFU 304 (JAPANESE EMISSARIES ARRIVE AT RANGOON [Allocated Title]) JIN 89 (ARRIVAL OF JAPANESE SURRENDER DELEGATION AT RANGOON [Allocated Title]) JIN 90 (JAPANESE SIGN PRELIMINARY SURRENDER AGREEMENT AT RANGOON [Allocated Title])