- Title: CANADIANS DELIVER RICE TO ISOLATED BURMESE [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ABY 134
- Other titles: ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Assembled film story detailing efforts of Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) 435 Squadron to provide rice to isolated communities in Burma.
- Description: An RCAF ensign flying. A tented camp; airmen stand around a map board to be briefed. In a supply depot men fill sacks for delivery by 'free drop' (i.e. without parachutes). A Douglas Dakota transport aircraft is loaded with sacks from a lorry. The crew board the Dakota and take off. Interior shots of the crew at their stations. Aerial footage of Dakota in flight and of rugged terrain; two broken bridges are seen. The sacks are kicked out of the Dakota's cargo door; the camera follows as they fall to the ground. Local people collect their ration of rice.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1945-09-05
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Air Ministry, Directorate of Public Relations (Production sponsor) Royal Air Force Film Production Unit (Production company) Leathead (Flying Officer) (Production individual) Goozee, S (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Royal Canadian Air Force, 435 Squadron (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Burma (geography) Air supply operations, Air operations over Burma, Burma 1942-1945, Second World War (event) Royal Air Force 1939-1945 (theme) Burma 1942-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 575 ft; Running time: 7 minutes
- Notes: This film an assembly of raw footage held as ABY 122 and 124. See related items. This film appears in an edited form in the Ministry of Information's Middle Eastern newsreel 'World Pictorial News' (formerly 'War Pictorial News'), also held by the IWM. See related items.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
WPN 234 (WORLD PICTORIAL NEWS NO 234 [Main Title]) ABY 122 (WITH THE ROYAL CANADIAN AIR FORCE IN BURMA [Allocated Title]) ABY 124 (CANADIANS DROP RICE TO ISOLATED BURMESE [Allocated Title]) JFU 553 (OPERATION HUNGER: AIR SUPPLY OF RICE TO NORTHERN BURMA [Allocated Title])