LIBERATED PRISONERS OF WAR AT CHANGI JAIL, SINGAPORE [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: LIBERATED PRISONERS OF WAR AT CHANGI JAIL, SINGAPORE [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ABY 136
- Other titles: ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Views of a troopship convoy to Singapore, crowds lining the streets, and Allied prisoners liberated from Changi prison camp.
- Description: Views of ships in convoy. Very fast tracking view of a crowd lining a road in Singapore taken from a moving vehicle. At the notorious Changi prison camp liberated Allied prisoners of war cheer. Emaciated men walking, unsteadily, with canes. An old man, apparently a local, similarly emaciated with his ribs visible even above the sternum. Cheering men; camera tilts up to show that the crowd stretches into the distance.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1945-09-05
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Air Ministry, Directorate of Public Relations (Production sponsor) Royal Air Force Film Production Unit (Production company) Clot, Dennis Francis Emile1919-07-04 (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations:
- Keywords: Singapore (geography) Changi, Singapore (geography) Liberation of Singapore Island 1945, Malaya, Second World War (event) Allied Prisoners of War Far East 1939-1945, Internment (event) Prisoners of War, Far East 1939-1945 (theme) Recovery of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees 1945, Allied Prisoners of War Far East 1939-1945, Internment (event) Royal Air Force 1939-1945 (theme) Far East 1939-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 147 ft; Running time: 2 mins
- Notes: Photographic coverage of this event can be found at the references below.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: