- Title: JAPANESE SURRENDER AT SINGAPORE [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ABY 143
- Other titles: ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: At Municipal Hall, Singapore, Japanese officers led by General Itagaki formally surrender all forces in south east Asia to Lord Mountbatten, Supreme Allied Commander of South East Asia Command.
- Description: Lord Mountbatten arrives by staff car at Municipal Hall. A large number of troops are on parade with flags flying and bands playing. Mountbatten inspects troops. Flypast of Allied aircraft, including RAF De Havilland Mosquitos and Short Sunderland flying boats. Mountbatten inspects men of the RAF Regiment before entering Municipal Hall with other senior officers. The Japanese delegation is escorted into the building. Interior shots; Mountbatten and his senior subordinates sit at a long table. He is flanked by Lieutenant-General Browning (his Chief of Staff) on his right and Lieutenant-General Slim, commander Allied Land Forces South East Asia (ALFSEA). The Japanese delegation takes seats opposite them, led by General Seishiro Itagaki, commander of Seventh Area Army. Mountbatten reads the terms of surrender. Other officers, officials and civilian correspondents watching proceedings. Itagaki signs the instrument of surrender before stamping the document with his seal. Outside Municipal Hall Mountbatten addresses the parade. Various views of the above taken by other cameramen.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1945-09-12
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Air Ministry, Directorate of Public Relations (Production sponsor) Royal Air Force Film Production Unit (Production company) Clot, Dennis Francis Emile1919-07-04 (Production individual) Tookey, C E W (Production individual) Hughes, H R (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Mountbatten, Louis (Earl) (person) Slim, William Joseph (person) Browning, Frederick Arthur Montague (person) Itagaki, Seishiro (person) South East Asia Command (regiment/service) Royal Air Force, Royal Air Force Regiment (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Singapore (geography) Surrender of Japanese Forces 1945, Singapore, Second World War (event) Royal Air Force 1939-1945 (theme) Far East 1939-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 972 ft; Running time: 11 minutes
- Notes: Itagaki was signing the surrender on the behalf of Field Marshal Count Hisaichi Terauchi, commander of Japanese forces in south east Asia. Terauchi had been disabled by a stroke in May 1945, and would die of a second stroke while a prisoner of war in June 1946. Itagaki would be convicted of war crimes and was hanged in Tokyo in December 1948. Given the importance of this occasion proceedings were filmed from several angles. This film therefore is somewhat repetitious. For coverage by British Army cameramen, see related items. Still photographs available at references below.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
JFU 309 (JAPANESE SURRENDER IN SINGAPORE [Allocated Title]) Documents.17155 (System.Xml.XmlElement) 11381 () ADM 1231 (MOUNTBATTEN ACCEPTS THE SURRENDER OF JAPANESE FORCES IN SOUTH EAST ASIA [Allocated Title]) JIN 100 (JAPANESE SURRENDER OF SINGAPORE SIGNED ABOARD HMS SUSSEX [Allocated Title]) JIN 111 (JAPANESE SURRENDER AT SINGAPORE [Allocated Title])