- Title: FIREBOMBING OF KANGAW [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ABY 149
- Other titles: ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: RAF Republic Thunderbolt fighter-bombers use napalm against Kangaw, and firebombs are tested at Cox's Bazaar, India (Bangladesh).
- Description: Kangaw, on the Arakan coast, Burma; a Thunderbolt flying at low altitude drops a bomb that explodes in a sheet of flame. A mushroom-shaped cloud of black smoke rises. More aircraft drop similar bombs. At Cox's Bazaar, India (now Bangladesh), napalm bombs are tested with spectacular explosions and thick black smoke.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1945-01-27
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Air Ministry, Directorate of Public Relations (Production sponsor) Royal Air Force Film Production Unit (Production company) Connochie, T D (Production individual) Lang, T W (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Royal Air Force, 30 Squadron (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Kangaw, Burma (geography) Cox's Bazaar, Bengal Province, India (geography) Third Arakan Campaign 1944-1945, Burma 1942-1945, Second World War (event) Royal Air Force 1939-1945 (theme) India 1939-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 199 ft; Running time: 2 mins
- Notes: Aircraft in the latter portion of this film are Thunderbolt Mk II's, probably of RAF 30 Squadron. According to the RAF's Narrative of the Campaigns in the Far East Volume IV, operations in support of amphibious landings at Kangaw saw the dropping of 750 tons of bombs and 17,700 gallons of napalm in a week. Landings were begun on 22/1/1945 by 3 Commando Brigade (Royal Marines) and followed up by 51st Brigade of 25th Indian Division. See reference below. The RAF's in-house newsreel 'The Gen' no. 15 includes a demonstration of these firebombs, although the footage used appears to be different. See related items. Date from slates.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
GEN 15 (THE GEN NO 15 [Main Title]) MWY 94 (ROYAL INDIAN NAVY EVACUATE WOUNDED FROM THE KANGAW BATTLE [Allocated Title]) JIN 8 (ROYAL INDIAN ARMY SERVICE CORPS AMPHIBIANS IN ACTION AT KANGAW [Allocated Title])