PRESENTATION OF A JAPANESE SWORD TO RAF 135 SQUADRON [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: PRESENTATION OF A JAPANESE SWORD TO RAF 135 SQUADRON [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ABY 150
- Other titles: ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Air Commodore the Earl of Bandon presents a captured Japanese sword to the commanding officer of RAF 135 Squadron.
- Description: Air Officer Commanding RAF 224 Group, Air Commodore the Earl of Bandon, accompanied by Group Captain David presents a captured Japanese sword to Squadron Leader Hawkins, commanding officer of RAF 135 Squadron. Air Commodore Bandon arrives with Group Captain David and addresses the assembled squadron. The sword is presented and officers of the squadron examine it.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1945
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Air Ministry, Directorate of Public Relations (Production sponsor) Royal Air Force Film Production Unit (Production company) Clot, Dennis Francis Emile1919-07-04 (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Bernard, Percy (person) David, William Dennis (person) Royal Air Force, 135 Squadron (regiment/service) British Army, Royal West African Frontier Force, Nigeria Regiment (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Burma 1942-1945, Second World War (event) Royal Air Force 1939-1945 (theme) India 1939-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 96 ft; Running time: 2 mins
- Notes: This sword apparently presented on the behalf of the Nigeria Regiment, which had served with distinction in Burma, not least as part of Major-General Orde Wingate's Second Chindit Expedition. Date and location somewhat unclear, but as RAF 135 Squadron was disbanded on 10/6/1945, it would seem likely that this was shot in early summer 1945.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: