- Title: CANADIANS DROP RICE TO ISOLATED BURMESE [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ABY 162
- Other titles: ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Canadian airmen of RCAF 435 Squadron deliver rice to Burmese civilians via the Civil Affairs Service (CAS).
- Description: A Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) Douglas Dakota transport aircraft in flight; the aircraft is named 'My Best Bet'. Aerial view of airfield at Imphal Valley (Tulihal?). Sacks of rice loaded into a lorry from a Dakota. Aircrew standing under the wing of their aircraft and talking with a bearded local man. A truck tips sand onto the airfield and it is levelled by a scraper and then a roller. Bullocks draw covered wagons through a local village. Rice is distributed to villagers. A sign reads 'The Relief Office - CAS Hsipaw'. Local Burmese civilians queue for rice. Two villagers collect spilt rice. Civilians walk away carrying their rice on their backs in large baskets. A local official at a window. A woman picks through a basket of rice while something steams on a small stove next to her. Chevrolet CMP lorries marked 'CAS' drive along a road. A jeep with locals gathered around. A railway locomotive puffs across shot. Local people at a window marked 'Ration Cards Registration Centre'. A man carries a sack of rice. Three aircrew officers leave a tent at Tulihal airstrip marked '435 Squadron Instrument and Radio Section'. The same three leave a tent marked 'Parachute Section' carrying their parachutes. Three other airmen climb a slope before looking out over a broad plain with paddy fields. Aerial footage of cloudscape.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1945-07
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Air Ministry, Directorate of Public Relations (Production sponsor) Royal Air Force Film Production Unit (Production company) Leithead (Flying Officer) (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Royal Canadian Air Force, 435 Squadron (regiment/service) Civil Affairs Service, Burma (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Imphal, Manipur, India (geography) Hsipaw, Burma (geography) Air supply operations, Air operations over Burma, Burma 1942-1945, Second World War (event) Royal Air Force 1939-1945 (theme) India 1939-1945 (theme) Burma 1942-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 663 ft; Running time: 8 minutes
- Notes: This film an identical copy of ABY 124. Hsipaw is a town in Shan State, Burma, also known as Thibaw, and situated 40 miles south west of Lashio. Road convoy seen apparently driving on the famous 'Burma Road' to China, which was at first closed by the Japanese advance. This subject also dealt with ABY 122 and 134. No dates on slates. Date from dopesheet.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
WPN 230 (WORLD PICTORIAL NEWS NO 230 [Main Title]) WPN 234 (WORLD PICTORIAL NEWS NO 234 [Main Title]) JFU 176 (CIVIL AFFAIRS SERVICE ACTIVITIES IN MANDALAY [Allocated Title]) JFU 275 (THE WORK OF THE CIVIL AFFAIRS SERVICE (BURMA) AT MEIKTILA, SHWEBO AND MAYMYO [Allocated Title])