JAPANESE SIGN THE SURRENDER OF PENANG ABOARD HMS NELSON [Allocated Title]
- Title: JAPANESE SIGN THE SURRENDER OF PENANG ABOARD HMS NELSON [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ABY 163
- Other titles: ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Onboard the Royal Navy Nelson-class battleship HMS Nelson Japanese officers surrender the port and city of Penang, Malaya (Malaysia) to the Allies.
- Description: Naval vessels of Task Force 11 of the Eastern Fleet underway en route for Penang. Anchored in the Andaman Sea off the Nicobar Islands the force awaits the arrival of Japanese envoys. A Japanese launch draws alongside HMS Nelson. Japanese officers come aboard. They are shown below. In a state room British and Japanese officers take seats at a long table. The surrender is signed by Vice-Admiral Walker and Rear Admiral Uzuni and the Governor of Penang.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1945-09-03
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Air Ministry, Directorate of Public Relations (Production sponsor) Royal Air Force Film Production Unit (Production company) Hughes, H R (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Walker, Harold Thomas Coulthard (person) Royal Navy, NELSON (HMS) (regiment/service) Royal Navy, Eastern Fleet (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Indian Ocean (geography) Penang, Malaya (geography) Surrender of Japanese Forces 1945, Malaya, Second World War (event)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 376 ft; Running time: 5 minutes
- Notes: Other vessels in Task Force 11 included the Ceylon-class cruiser HMS Ceylon, the escort carriers HMS Hunter and HMS Attacker, the Paladin-class destroyers HMS Paladin and HMS Petard and two LSIs (Landing Ship Infantry). Japanese officers named on the dopesheet include Commander Sakai, Lieutenant-Commander Yamaguchi and Captain Aidaki. This occasion photographed by an Army photographer. See related items.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
ABY 178 (THE RAF REGIMENT IN PENANG [Allocated Title]) ABY 179 (SURRENDER, REOCCUPATION AND FLAG RAISING AT PENANG [Allocated Title]) JIN 106 (JAPANESE OFFICERS COME ABOARD HMS NELSON FOR PENANG SURRENDER NEGOTIATIONS [Allocated Title]) ADM 530 (SURRENDER OF PENANG BY THE JAPANESE [Allocated Title]) JIN 107 (ROYAL MARINES TAKE OVER PENANG [Allocated Title])