- Title: JAPANESE SURRENDER OF HONG KONG [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ABY 168
- Other titles: ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Admiral Sir Bruce Fraser, 1st Baron Fraser of North Cape, commander of the British Pacific Fleet, arrives at Hong Kong before the formal Japanese surrender of the territory at Government House.
- Description: Admiral Fraser stepping from a naval motor launch to the quayside. Fraser and other officers get into a staff car and depart for Government House. Government House interior; Admiral Fraser, along with Rear Admiral Harcourt and Major-General Pan Hwa Kuei, representing China, take their seats. Two senior Japanese officers, Major-General Okada and Rear Admiral Ruitaro Fujita are shown to their seats. Both carry swords. The Japanese officers sign their names and the papers are transferred to the table of Allied officers. Okada and Fujita surrender their swords. Exterior Government House; pan down to troops on parade. All three Services are represented and a band is playing. Airmen come to attention and slope arms. Admiral Fraser, followed by the other Allied officers, inspect the parade. A Union flag is raised. The airmen present arms. Panning shot of the parade; as the senior service the Royal Navy are on the right of the line with the Army and RAF to the left. A number of Fleet Air Arm Chance-Vought Corsair fighters pass overhead. The parade falls out.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1945-09-16
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Air Ministry, Directorate of Public Relations (Production sponsor) Royal Air Force Film Production Unit (Production company) Layzell, R G (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Fraser, Bruce Austin (person) Harcourt, Cecil Halliday Jepson (person) Fujita, Ruitaro (person) Okada, Umekichi (person) Royal Navy, British Pacific Fleet (regiment/service) Royal Navy, Fleet Air Arm (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Hong Kong (geography) Government House (geography) Surrender of Japanese Forces 1945, Hong Kong, Second World War (event)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 677 ft; Running time: 8 minutes
- Notes: Allied delegation also included Colonel Adrian Williams (US Army) and Captain W B Creery (Royal Canadian Navy). The interpreter is Captain J A S Eccles RN. These details from captions of IWM photographs held at the references below. See related items.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
ADM 1196 (SURRENDER CEREMONY AT HONG KONG [Allocated Title]) ADM 1770 (SURRENDER CEREMONY AT HONG KONG [Allocated Title]) ADM 2668 (JAPANESE SURRENDER IN HONG KONG AND VIEWS OF THE ISLAND [Allocated Title]) JFU 376 (JAPANESE SURRENDER OF HONG KONG [Allocated Title]) ABY 183 (A DAY PASS IN HONG KONG [Allocated Title])