FOOTBALL MATCH IN BATAVIA: DUTCH CIVILIANS VERSUS RAF BATAVIA [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: FOOTBALL MATCH IN BATAVIA: DUTCH CIVILIANS VERSUS RAF BATAVIA [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ABY 194
- Other titles: ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Dutch civilians, presumably recently released from Japanese internment, play airmen of RAF Batavia at football.
- Description: Footage of the game in progress. Crowd shots showing local Indonesians, and British and Indian servicemen.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1945-12
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Air Ministry, Directorate of Public Relations (Production sponsor) Royal Air Force Film Production Unit (Production company) Clot, Dennis Francis Emile1919-07-04 (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Royal Air Force (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Batavia, Java, Netherlands East Indies (geography) Allied Occupation of the Netherlands East Indies, Allied Occupation of South East Asia post-August 1945 (event)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 288 ft; Running time: 4 minutes
- Notes: RAF Batavia also known as Kemajoran. The cameraman's dopesheet provides a number of interesting details. This was apparently the second game of a series, 'a good clean game' and remarks that while the Dutch were up 3-2 at half time, the RAF won 4-3 after 'some good teamwork' and 'better mastery of the ball'. Also notes the 'exceptional' saves made by both goalkeepers, but unfortunately neglects to detail the colours each team wore. Dopesheet is dated 1 February 1946, but this date seems too late in the context of the series. Date above an estimate.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: