THE ADVANCE THROUGH NAZARETH AND DAMASCUS, SEPTEMBER 20TH-OCTOBER 1ST 1918 [Main Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: THE ADVANCE THROUGH NAZARETH AND DAMASCUS, SEPTEMBER 20TH-OCTOBER 1ST 1918 [Main Title]
- Film Number: IWM 37
- Other titles:
- Summary: A compilation film of the final British victory over the Turks and the visit of the Maharajah of Patiala to his own regiment, Palestine Front, September and October 1918.
- Description: I. (Reel 1) A panorama of Nazareth. Men of 4th Regiment, Australian Light Horse, entering Tiberias on 25 September. The bridge at Jisr Benat Yakub (which means 'the bridge of the daughters of Jacob'). A Vickers machine gun of the ALH 4th Machine Gun Squadron being sighted into position. The Essex Battery, Royal Horse Artillery of 5th Cavalry Division crossing the Jordan River below Jisr Benat Yakub. The mayor of El Kuneitra surrendering the town to 5th Regiment, Australian Light Horse, on 28 September. The arrival in Kuneitra of Major-General H W Hodgson (no good view) commanding the Australian Mounted Division. Men of 5th ALH and some Indian lancers enter the town. Part of the Australian Mounted Division continues the advance over the open plains. A crowd outside the Serail (the Sultan's Palace) in Damascus on 1 October. Arab horsemen of Prince Feisal's forces chase out looters. (Reel 2) The bulk of Prince Feisal's force arrives in Damascus on 1 October, English language newspapers are distributed through the city, and troops of the Australian Mounted Division and 5th Cavalry Division also arrive. Feisal and General Allenby (just glimpsed) arrive for their meeting at the Victoria Hotel, and are later seen leaving the building. II. (Reel 3) The Maharajah of Patiala, wearing British uniform and a turban, inspects the Patiala Infantry Regiment, part of 20th Brigade in Chaytor's Force of the Egyptian Expeditionary Force. He is shown a Lewis machine gun section and a demonstration of rapid rifle shooting by a senior NCO of the regiment.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM (IWM 37)
- Featured Period: 1914-1918
- Production Date: 1919-02
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Jury's Imperial Pictures (Production company) Jury, William F (Production individual) Jeapes, Harold (Production individual) Campbell, J R (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: El Kuneitra, Mayor of (person) Hodgson, H W (person) Allenby, Edmund Henry Hynman (person) Feisal I, King of Iraq (person) Patiala, Maharajah of (person) Australian Army, Australian Imperial Force (regiment/service) Australian Army, Egyptian Expeditionary Force (regiment/service) Australian Army, Australian Light Horse (regiment/service) Australian Army, Australian Light Horse, 4th Regiment (regiment/service) Australian Army, Australian Light Horse, Machine Gun, 4 Squadron (regiment/service) Australian Army, Australian Light Horse, 5th Regiment (regiment/service) British Army, Egyptian Expeditionary Force (regiment/service) Indian Army, Egyptian Expeditionary Force (regiment/service) Indian Army, 5th Cavalry Division (regiment/service) Indian Army, Patiala Infantry (Indian State Forces) (regiment/service) British Army, Royal Artillery, Royal Horse Artillery, Essex Battery (regiment/service) Army of Hejaz (regiment/service)
- Keywords: operations, British military - movement: march (object name) operations, Australian military - movement: march (object name) operations, Indian military - movement: march (object name) weapons, British - smallarm: Vickers machine gun & [Indian] (object name) weapons, British - smallarm: Lewis machine gun & [Indian] (object name) buildings, Palestinian - commercial: hotel (object name) journalism and record, British - press: newspaper (object name) administration, British - occupation (object name) celebrations, Palestinian - liberation (object name) training, Indian military - combat (object name) training, Indian military - weapons: machine gun (object name) training, Indian military - weapons: rifle (object name) delegations, Indian national - state (object name) 01/3(569) (event) 01/3(53).5 (event) Turkey & Nazareth, Palestine (geography) Turkey & Jisr Benat Yakub, Palestine (geography) Turkey & Jordan River, Palestine (geography) Turkey & El Kuneitra, Palestine (geography) Turkey & Damascus, Syria (geography) desert (concept)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: English Subtitle language: English
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 3 Footage: 1125 ft; Running time: 19 mins
- Notes: Production: this may just be one of the last of the Ministry of Information films, but the captions are too detailed for British wartime censor's regulations, there does not appear to be a record of its release during the war, and the Australian War Records Section did not see a copy until February 1919. It is probable that it was one of the post-war compilations made by Jury from official material as part of his reward for controlling wartime film production. The War Office Cinema Committee, which remained in paper existence after the end of the war, appears to have been connected with the making of the film.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: