WAR OFFICE OFFICIAL TOPICAL BUDGET 340-2 (Spanish version, fragment) [Main Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: WAR OFFICE OFFICIAL TOPICAL BUDGET 340-2 (Spanish version, fragment) [Main Title]
- Film Number: IWM 681b
- Other titles: PICTORIAL NEWS (OFFICIAL) 340-2 (Spanish version, fragment) [Alternative Title]
- Summary: I. Spanish language version of a newsreel item on the building of a giant billboard poster in Trafalgar Square, London, February 1918. II. Spanish language version of a newsreel item on the arrival of General Allenby in Cairo station on 27th June 1917. III. Spanish language version of a newsreel item on a memorial service for Welsh Guardsmen, Holy Trinity Church, Sloane Street, 28th February 1918.
- Description: The artist, Bert Thomas, supervises the construction of the poster. It is a mural of the Spanish Armada urging people to buy War Bonds as a defence against a comparable threat from Germany. Allenby inspects the guard of British soldiers drawn up for him inside the station, and talks with local dignitaries. Lieutenant-General Sir Francis Lloyd is prominent supervising the arrangements outside the church. A column of the Welsh Guards arrives for the service, followed by various officers. The Prince arrives and enters for the ceremony. After the ceremony the officers emerge, and the Prince talks with Lloyd.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1914-1918
- Production Date: 1918-03-02
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Ministry of Information (Production sponsor) Topical Film Company (Production company)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Thomas, Herbert Samuel 'Bert' (person) Allenby, Edmund Henry Hynman (person) Edward, Prince (Duke of Windsor) (person) Lloyd, Francis (person) British Army, Egyptian Expeditionary Force (regiment/service) British Army, Welsh Guards (regiment/service)
- Keywords: arts, British - fine arts: posters (object name) propaganda, British - inspirational (object name) propaganda, British - practical (object name) ceremonies, British - event-related: arrival in Cairo (Allenby) (object name) buildings, Egyptian - commercial: railway station (object name) ceremonies, British - event-related: memorial service (Welsh Guardsmen) (object name) religion, Christianity - military, British (object name) buildings, British - religious: church (object name) 31/3(41) (event) 31/3(621) (event) 31/3(41) (event) GB, England & London, WC <Trafalgar Square> (geography) Egypt & Cairo <station> (geography) GB, England & London, SW <Holy Trinity Church & Sloane Street> (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: Spanish
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 194 ft; Running time: 4 mins
- Notes: Production: see IWM 651a for production details Summary: note that additional stories from this issue are held as IWM 1061-05a and IWM 1061-09e (both English language), and an English language copy of story I is IWM 1061-09b. See IWM 14 for the Allenby item Technical: this fragment is currently held on the same reel as IWM 681a, IWM 681c and IWM 681d, the can is marked as IWM 681 Remarks: the Allenby item seems a rather extreme example of the kind of delay experienced in getting film back from the Middle East to London; the inclusion of the poster story in a version of the newsreel produced for Spain appears somewhat tactless (although less significant to Central and South American Spanish-speaking audiences).
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: