- Title: 20TH INDIAN DIVISION CROSSING THE RIVER IRRAWADDY AT MYINMU [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: JFU 10
- Other titles: BRITISH ARMY OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: One mile west of Myinmu in central Burma troops of 100th Indian Infantry Brigade, 20th Indian Division cross the river Irrawaddy.
- Description: Wide shot; smoke rising on the south bank of the Irrawaddy River. Two Indian soldier pull back a small collapsible boat. Smoke and flames on the far bank. Wide shot with a boat crossing the river. Stretcher bearers carry medical supplies. Boat crossing the river. Flowers blooming near the beach. A DUKW amphibious truck (named HMA Apache) and marked with XXXIII Indian Corps insignia passes camera. The DUKW heads across the river. Indian troops at work in the foreground with rivercraft behind. Mules are led down to the water; they raise dust which envelopes the cameraman. A rubber boat is carried to the water. Mules waiting on the beach. A rubber boat is towed across the river, with mules swimming behind. More mules are swum across the river. Mules are driven into the water. A motorised pontoon boat used for towing the rubber boat. Mules driven into the water. Indian soldier (a Sikh) tilling the boat. The boat’s bow wave and wash. Close-up hand on the tiller. Approaching the beach. Stores being stacked on the beach and carried away by Gurkha troops (possibly 4th Battalion 10th Gurkha Rifles); a number of the men have white X’s on the seat of their trousers. Indian troops, possibly 14th Battalion 13th Frontier Force Rifles) coming up the beach. Gurkhas shifting supplies. A jeep is driven off a raft. A long line of Gurkhas; each man carries a box of ammunitions between himself and the next man on either side. On the beach; mules pass a crowd of local civilians on the beach (refugees from the fighting?). British troops carrying mortars and ammunition. A Royal Air Force Hawker Hurricane fighter bomber attacks a target in the distance. Unloading rolls of Sommerfeld track.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1945-02-14
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: War Office Directorate of Public Relations (Production sponsor) SEAC Film Unit (Production company) Hammond, R G (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Indian Army, 20th Indian Division (regiment/service) Indian Army, 100th Indian Infantry Brigade (regiment/service) Indian Army, 10th Gurkha Rifles, 4th Battalion (regiment/service) Indian Army, 13th Frontier Force Rifles, 14th Battalion (regiment/service) British Army, Border Regiment, 2nd Battalion (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Irrawaddy (River), Burma (geography) Myinmu, Burma (geography) Irrawaddy Crossing 1945, Burma 1942-1945, Second World War (event) Burma 1942-1945 (theme) British Army 1939-1945 (theme) Indian Army 1939-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 655 ft; Running time: 8 mins
- HD Media:
- Notes: The dopesheet gives a variety of tactical details of this crossing. 19th Indian Division and 20th Indian Division were to cross first, with 2nd British Division crossing after and between them. 20th Division's crossing was led by 100th Brigade, in turn led by 2nd Battalion Border Regiment and 14th Battalion 13th Frontier Force Rifles, at 11pm on 12 February 1945. The dopesheet also gives the refugees as having come from a village at Army map reference 939569, but this location remains obscure without the relevant map to consult. Cameraman gives the width of the river at his vantage point as 1,100 yards. For other film of the crossing of the Irrawaddy shot by both the British Army (JFU-series) and the RAF (ABY-series) see related items.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
ABY 97 (CROSSING THE IRRAWADDY [Allocated Title]) JFU 21 (7TH DIVISION CONSOLIDATING IRRAWADDY BRIDGEHEAD [Allocated Title]) JFU 22 (TRANSPORTING MEN AND SUPPLIES ACROSS IRRAWADDY FOR 7TH DIVISION [Allocated Title]) JFU 27 (20TH INDIAN DIVISION IRRAWADDY BRIDGEHEAD [Allocated Title]) JFU 35 (IRRAWADDY CROSSING BY 7TH DIVISION AT NYAUNGU [Allocated Title]) JFU 43 (BRIDGEHEAD OPERATIONS ON IRRAWADDY [Allocated Title]) JFU 11 (20TH DIVISION BRIDGEHEAD OVER IRRAWADDY [Allocated Title]) JFU 19 (PREPARATIONS FOR DRIVE ON MANDALAY [Allocated Title]) JFU 20 (DECEPTION OPERATIONS DURING A LULL BETWEEN BATTLES [Allocated Title]) JFU 24 (TANKS MOVING FORWARD FROM 7TH DIVISION BRIDGEHEAD [Allocated Title]) JFU 26 (FERRYING TANKS ACROSS IRRAWADDY (BURMA) 100TH BRIGADE BRIDGEHEAD [Allocated Title]) JFU 32 (7TH DIVISION ESTABLISHING BEACHHEAD ACROSS IRRAWADDY [Allocated Title]) JFU 34 (BRIGADIER'S CONFERENCE BEFORE 7TH DIVISION'S IRRAWADDY CROSSING [Allocated Title]) JFU 48 (ARTILLERY SUPPORT - 20TH DIVISION BEACHHEAD 5.5 INCH HOWITZERS [Allocated Title]) JFU 25 (TRANSPORTING TANKS OF PROBYN'S HORSE ACROSS THE IRRAWADDY [Allocated Title])