- Title: VARIOUS SCENES OF AN IMPROVISED KITCHEN AND POST OFFICE NEAR TIDDIM [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: JFU 123
- Other titles: BRITISH ARMY OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Men of 56th Anti-Tank Regiment enjoy the pleasure of an improvised oven and a well-organised post office at their camp two miles south of Tiddim, Burma.
- Description: The men of 351st Battery 56th Anti-Tank Regiment Royal Artillery have improvised an oven made of two empty ammunition boxes. A pie is cooked and removed from the oven by Corporal C Bell of Battersea. Post sacks and mail lie on the ground. A soldier stamps letters. Men are served food (these shots are very dark). The men eat. A panoramic view of Kennedy Peak.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-10-26
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: War Office Directorate of Public Relations (Production sponsor) SEAC Film Unit (Production company) Taylor, A (Sergeant) (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Bell, C (person) British Army, Royal Artillery, 351st Anti-Tank Battery (regiment/service) British Army, Royal Artillery, 56th Anti-Tank Regiment (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Tiddim, Burma (geography) Kennedy Peak, Burma (geography) Tiddim Road 1944, Burma 1942-1945, Second World War (event) Burma 1942-1945 (theme) British Army 1939-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 177 ft; Running time: 2 mins
- Notes: 5th Indian Division began advancing along the Tiddim Road in July 1944 following the abandonment of the Japanese offensive against Imphal. Tiddim was occupied on 17 October and the advance continued towards Kalemyo. 5th Indian Division was eventually withdrawn from the line in the first week of December, having been in action for 14 months. For more footage relating to Tiddim and the Tiddim Road, see related items.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
JFU 88 (GENERAL SIR GEORGE GIFFARD INSPECTS TROOPS [Allocated Title]) JFU 117 (TIDDIM OPERATIONS BY 5TH INDIAN DIVISION [Allocated Title]) JFU 118 (TIDDIM VILLAGE OCCUPIED BY 5TH INDIAN DIVISION [Allocated Title]) JFU 120 (5TH INDIAN DIVISION ADVANCE THROUGH TIDDIM TO KENNEDY PEAK [Allocated Title]) JFU 121 (5TH INDIAN DIVISION ADVANCE BEYOND TIDDIM [Allocated Title]) JFU 124 (5TH INDIAN DIVISION ADVANCING NEAR KENNEDY PEAK [Allocated Title]) JFU 147 (MUDDY CONDITIONS ON THE TIDDIM ROAD [Allocated Title]) JFU 160 (ATTACK ON KENNEDY PEAK BY 5TH INDIAN DIVISION [Allocated Title]) JFU 180 (JAPANESE RETREAT FROM KHA KHONOU AT MILESTONE 24 TO THE KUKI HILLS AT MILESTONE 33 [Allocated Title]) JFU 184 (5TH INDIAN DIVISION'S ADVANCE ON TIDDIM - MILESTONE 138 TO MILESTONE 159 [Allocated Title]) JFU 189 (CASUALTY EVACUATION FROM LIGHT AIRSTRIP AT SAIZANG [Allocated Title]) JFU 191 (MEN OF THE PUNJAB REGIMENT ON PATROL AND STRETCHER BEARERS AT WORK [Allocated Title]) JFU 195 (INDIAN ENGINEER WORKSHOP AND SCENES ALONG THE TIDDIM ROAD [Allocated Title]) JFU 208 (VARIOUS SCENES OF 5TH INDIAN DIVISION AT KALEMYO [Allocated Title])