- Title: 5TH INDIAN DIVISION ADVANCING NEAR KENNEDY PEAK [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: JFU 124
- Other titles: BRITISH ARMY OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: 5th Indian Division advance on Japanese positions around Kennedy Peak, near Tiddim, Burma.
- Description: British soldiers and supplies wait on a rough road. A jeep and trailer come along the road; there is a steep drop on one side of the road and the jeep looks perilously close to the edge. A truck comes towards camera. British troops with tin hats on and carrying their Lee Enfield rifles move through the jungle. (This sequence is very dark). A destroyed Japanese Ha-Go tank is passed by British soldiers. 3-inch mortars are fired by the men of 351st Battery 56th Anti-Tank Regiment Royal Artillery on Japanese positions. Men look at debris as they rest in the jungle (debris is hard to identify but could possibly be a crashed plane). Long shot of a tank on the road ahead. Long shot of Japanese bunkers on a hillside. Two Indian soldiers man, and fire, a Vickers machine gun in heavy jungle. A mortar is fired. Men of 351st Battery 56th Anti-Tank Regiment Royal Artillery sit around drinking and eating. RAF Hawker Hurricane fighter-bombers bomb a hilltop; explosions can be seen. Bomb sites on the hill; undergrowth has been destroyed. Hurribombers on more bomb runs and explosions are visible. An M3 General Grant tank is stopped at the corner of a road and fires several times.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1944-10-30
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: War Office Directorate of Public Relations (Production sponsor) SEAC Film Unit (Production company) Hewit, J R (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Indian Army, 5th Indian Division (regiment/service) British Army, Royal Artillery, 351st Anti-Tank Battery (regiment/service) British Army, Royal Artillery, 56th Anti-Tank Regiment (regiment/service) Indian Army, 9th Jat Regiment, 3rd Battalion (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Tiddim, Burma (geography) Kennedy Peak, Burma (geography) Tiddim Road 1944, Burma 1942-1945, Second World War (event) Burma 1942-1945 (theme) British Army 1939-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 515 ft; Running time: 6 mins
- Notes: On 8 July 1944 the Japanese Army finally abandoned its attempts to capture Imphal. There followed a period of pursuit south along the road from Imphal to Tiddim (along the 'Tiddim Road') 120 miles away. Tiddim itself was occupied on 17 October, after which the pursuit continued as far as Kalemyo. The dopesheet identifies the mortar battery as being from 36th Anti-Tank Regiment. However, there was no such regiment in 5th Indian Division or any higher formation. Given that other dopesheets refer to 351st Battery, 56th Anti-Tank Regiment, this would seem to be a simple error on the part of the cameraman. Dopesheet also refers to Jats, so the Indian troops seen may be of 3rd Battalion, 9th Jat Regiment, part of the divisional infantry. For more footage relating to Tiddim and the Tiddim Road, see related items.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
JFU 88 (GENERAL SIR GEORGE GIFFARD INSPECTS TROOPS [Allocated Title]) JFU 117 (TIDDIM OPERATIONS BY 5TH INDIAN DIVISION [Allocated Title]) JFU 118 (TIDDIM VILLAGE OCCUPIED BY 5TH INDIAN DIVISION [Allocated Title]) JFU 120 (5TH INDIAN DIVISION ADVANCE THROUGH TIDDIM TO KENNEDY PEAK [Allocated Title]) JFU 121 (5TH INDIAN DIVISION ADVANCE BEYOND TIDDIM [Allocated Title]) JFU 123 (VARIOUS SCENES OF AN IMPROVISED KITCHEN AND POST OFFICE NEAR TIDDIM [Allocated Title]) JFU 147 (MUDDY CONDITIONS ON THE TIDDIM ROAD [Allocated Title]) JFU 160 (ATTACK ON KENNEDY PEAK BY 5TH INDIAN DIVISION [Allocated Title]) JFU 180 (JAPANESE RETREAT FROM KHA KHONOU AT MILESTONE 24 TO THE KUKI HILLS AT MILESTONE 33 [Allocated Title]) JFU 184 (5TH INDIAN DIVISION'S ADVANCE ON TIDDIM - MILESTONE 138 TO MILESTONE 159 [Allocated Title]) JFU 189 (CASUALTY EVACUATION FROM LIGHT AIRSTRIP AT SAIZANG [Allocated Title]) JFU 191 (MEN OF THE PUNJAB REGIMENT ON PATROL AND STRETCHER BEARERS AT WORK [Allocated Title]) JFU 195 (INDIAN ENGINEER WORKSHOP AND SCENES ALONG THE TIDDIM ROAD [Allocated Title]) JFU 208 (VARIOUS SCENES OF 5TH INDIAN DIVISION AT KALEMYO [Allocated Title])