- Title: MANDALAY - SHELLING OF MANDALAY HILL [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: JFU 55
- Other titles: BRITISH ARMY OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: British troops from 19th Indian Division advance into the north of Mandalay, Burma, and aid the attack on Mandalay Hill.
- Description: Buddhist pagodas in the distance on Mandalay Hill. Soldiers of 1st Battalion 15th Punjab Regiment look on from traditional Burmese huts as the shelling of the pagoda on Mandalay Hill continues. A Burmese man hands out water to the British troops. Indian troops stand outside a traditional house drinking. A line of troops marches along a rough road. Mandalay Hill in the distance. British troops cross scrub land and pass a railway station number 080. Lee medium tanks advance through scrub land and throw up large dust clouds. 8th Battalion 12th Frontier Force Rifles walk along a road and a Grant tank passes them. Mandalay Hill is shelled by artillery and explosions and smoke appear.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1945-03-10
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: War Office Directorate of Public Relations (Production sponsor) SEAC Film Unit (Production company) Abbott, J (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Indian Army, 19th Indian Division (regiment/service) Indian Army, 15th Punjab Regiment, 1st Battalion (regiment/service) Indian Army, 12th Frontier Force Regiment, 8th Battalion (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Mandalay, Burma (geography) Mandalay 1945, Burma 1942-1945, Second World War (event) Burma 1942-1945 (theme) British Army 1939-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 314 ft; Running time: 4 mins
- Notes: Mandalay, Burma's second city, was an objective of great importance due to its prestige value and logistical connections, and was also the site of a large Japanese supply dump. Operations for the capture of Mandalay were extensively covered by other British Army cameramen. See related items.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
JFU 38 (MANDALAY - ENTRY BY TANKS AND TROOPS OF 19TH INDIAN DIVISION [Allocated Title]) JFU 39 (MANDALAY - SHELLING, SNIPERS AND AIRSTRIKES SEEN FROM MANDALAY HILL [Allocated Title]) JFU 40 (MANDALAY - GURKHAS CLEAR ENEMY FROM MONASTERY TUNNELS [Allocated Title]) JFU 41 (MANDALAY - HURRICANE AIRSTRIKES AND 6TH GURKHAS ON THE MARCH [Allocated Title]) JFU 42 (OPERATIONS FOR CAPTURE OF MANDALAY - TANKS AND TROOPS ADVANCE [Allocated Title]) JFU 54 (JAPANESE OCCUPIED MANDALAY FROM THE AIR [Allocated Title]) JFU 56 (MANDALAY - SHELLING OF FORT DUFFERIN [Allocated Title]) JFU 57 (MANDALAY - SHELLING OF MANDALAY HILL AND FORT DUFFERIN [Allocated Title]) JFU 61 (MANDALAY - 15TH PUNJAB REGIMENT ADVANCES [Allocated Title]) JFU 72 (MANDALAY - AIR RESUPPLY AND SHELLING [Allocated Title]) JFU 73 (MANDALAY - MORTAR FIRE, ANGLO-INDIAN CIVILIANS, AIR SUPPLY AND STRAFING [Allocated Title]) JFU 74 (MANDALAY - ARTILLERY FIRE, AIRSTRIKES AND ANGLO-INDIAN EVACUEES [Allocated Title]) JFU 75 (MANDALAY - MORTAR FIRE AND AIRSTRIKES [Allocated Title]) JFU 79 (MANDALAY - FLAGRAISING AT FORT DUFFERIN BY LIEUTENANT-GENERAL SLIM [Allocated Title]) JFU 84 (MANDALAY - SHELLING FORT DUFFERIN AT POINT BLANK RANGE [Allocated Title]) JFU 62 (RAF PLANES DIVE BOMBING MANDALAY [Allocated Title]) JFU 63 (MANDALAY HILL [Allocated Title]) JFU 76 (BENGAL'S GOVERNOR IN MANDALAY [Allocated Title])