AMPHIBIOUS OPERATIONS AGAINST JAPANESE STRAGGLERS ON RAMREE ISLAND [Allocated Title]
Created by filmcom…@iwm.org.uk
- Title: AMPHIBIOUS OPERATIONS AGAINST JAPANESE STRAGGLERS ON RAMREE ISLAND [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: JIN 14
- Other titles: INDIAN ARMY OPERATIONS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: In order to speed the surrender of Japanese forces at Ramree town (on Ramree Island in the Arakan region of Burma) Royal Indian Navy (RIN) landing craft set out to carry troops up rivers which approach the town from three sides.
- Description: On a beach at Kyaukpyu on Ramree island troops load ammunition onto landing craft (Landing Craft Assaults, LCAs). A Gurkha soldier carries ammunition. Gurkha troops (probably of 1st Battalion 8th Gurkha Rifles) board the landing craft. Footage from aboard a LCA under tow with a number of others behind a small warship possibly a RIN sloop. A man with his back to the camera looks through binoculars. Close-up of a hand adjusting a knob on a wireless set. Profile close-up of a bare-chested naval officer, with a large tattoo on his right shoulder, talking on the radio.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1939-1945
- Production Date: 1945-02-19
- Production Country: India
- Production Details: Public Relations Directorate, India (Production sponsor) Indian Public Relations Film Unit (Production company) Lawrence (Signalman) (Production individual)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Royal Indian Navy (regiment/service) Indian Army, 8th Gurkha Rifles, 1st Battalion (regiment/service) Indian Army, 26th Indian Division (regiment/service)
- Keywords: Kyaukpyu, Ramree, Burma (geography) Landings on Ramree island 1945, Burma 1942-1945, Second World War (event) Third Arakan Campaign 1944-1945, Burma 1942-1945, Second World War (event) British Army 1939-1945 (theme) Indian Army 1939-1945 (theme)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 1 Footage: 194 ft; Running time: 3 mins
- Notes: Ramree was taken after an amphibious invasion led by 26th Indian Division on 21 January 1945. It housed a considerable Japanese garrison of some 1,800 men and resistance was tenacious. The operation seen in this film forms part of a naval blockade intended to force the remnants of the garrison into the rivers or mangrove swamps that surrounded the island.
- Link to IWM Collections page:
Related IWM Collections Objects:
JIN 25 (ROYAL INDIAN NAVY SEARCH FOR JAPANESE STRAGGLERS AROUND RAMREE ISLAND [Allocated Title])