- Title: HMS KENYA AND HMS TRIUMPH DURING WEST COAST SUPPORT DUTIES [Allocated Title]
- Film Number: ADM 1368
- Other titles: POST-WAR NAVAL OPERATIONS - KOREA [Allocated Series Title]
- Summary: Activities of HMS Kenya while major element of Task Unit 96.53.3, Task Element 96.53, West Korea Support, July-August 1950, and air operations onboard HMS Triumph, Blockade and Covering Force, TF 91, part of Joint Task Force Seven, formed in September for the Inchon landing operation.
- Description: I. Reel One. Bombardment of a suspected gun emplacement on Choda Island, 28 July 1950. Cameraship is HMS Kenya. LSs of the coast, and smoke rising from the effects of the bombardment. LS of escorting destroyer, HMS Cockade, patrolling close inshore. II. Bombardment of Inchon, 5 August 1950. Cameraship, HMS Kenya. MS of coast - the approaches of Inchon. HMS Belfast precedes Kenya in line ahead, with two destroyers, HMS Cossack and HMS Charity, in the van. HA to twin 40mm AA on port bridgewing of Kenya - crew closed up, wearing anti-flash. MS of escorting destroyer close by. HA from bridge to focsle - A and B fire over the port quarter. LSs of Belfast and escorting destroyers. III. ROK patrol vessels come alongside HMS Kenya for water, provisions and stores. HA to AMC 301 and AMS 505 alongside to port. Similar shot over HA.DCT (high angle direction control tower) and 40mm AA - outboard craft is now AMS 502. South Korean captains in conference with Captain Brock and officers of Kenya. Various shots of Korean craft: AMS 505 making off, and AMS 502 approaching to take her place; AMC 301 and AMS 502 stood off from cameraship; PC 701, Korean Bak Du San, moving left to right, then approaching from starboard to come alongside - good HA shots of the bridge of the Korean craft. IV. HA onto Kenya's bridge - officers survey the coast with binoculars and telescopes. MS of Bofors crew closed up - the mounting trains left into profile. CU behind the gun shield of twin 4-inch DP as gun crew go through loading drill. V. HA to barrels of rear turrets off HMS Belfast trained to starboard for a bombardment - the coastline is visible in the distance. Inshore from Belfast two destroyers are patrolling - possibly Canadian Tribals. VI. MS to a Korean officer and British officers consulting together over a map-board on the bridge of HMS Kenya. This may be the incident on 31 August 1950, when South Korean craft reported to Kenya the positions of enemy gun positions harassing the ROK garrison on Yong Hung Do. VII. Air operations on HMS Triumph. HA onto the cockpit of a Mk 47 Seafire as the aircraft is refuelled. The DLCO (?) talks with the pilot. CU of Rear-Admiral W G Andrewes with Captain Torlesse on bridge of Triumph. HA.MS as armourer reloads Seafire's port wing cannon. MS as Mk I Firefly 280 lands on - a small tractor is hitched on to the aircraft's tail end. Deck crew push Seafire 178 aft - the chocks have been put up on the aircraft's wing - Firefly 280 towed aft at the right of frame. VIII. Reel Three. Cameraship HMS Triumph. Screening destroyer HMAS Bataan closes, and man semaphores from her bridge. A Colony Class cruiser (HMS Ceylon ?) is also in company. Formation of two Fireflies and two Seafires flies past. Various LSs of ships of the combined fleet - including landing craft. Screening destroyer flashes a signal. Tanker in close company. PC boat (ROK ?) nearby. Escorting destroyer astern. HMAS Bataan passes close under Triumph's stern - three Fireflies are ranged aft. HA.MS to lift as a Firefly is brought up from the hangar to waiting deck crew. Two Fireflies make a low pass by the ship. Firefly with wings folded is towed aft down portside. Firefly takes off. HA.MS aft to three Fireflies running up - HMS Charity passes right to left in background. MS off port beam of Charity as she runs close by. HMAS Bataan comes hard a'starboard and closes on the carrier. Three Fireflies land on - camera holds on last aircraft as deck crew manually fold the wings.
- Access Conditions: IWM Attribution: © IWM
- Featured Period: 1945-1975
- Production Date: 1950
- Production Country: GB
- Production Details: Admiralty (Production sponsor)
- Personalities, Units and Organisations: Torlesse, Arthur David (person) Brock, P R (person) Andrewes, William G (person) Royal Navy, Triumph (regiment/service) Royal Navy, Kenya (regiment/service) Royal Navy, COSSACK (HMS), destroyer (1944) (regiment/service) Royal Navy, BELFAST (HMS), cruiser (1938) (regiment/service) Royal Navy, COCKADE (HMS), destroyer (regiment/service) Royal Navy, CHARITY (HMS), destroyer (regiment/service) Royal Navy, Fleet Air Arm, Carrier Air Gp 13 (regiment/service) Royal Navy, Fleet Air Arm, Sqdn 800 (regiment/service) Royal Navy, Fleet Air Arm, Sqdn 827 (regiment/service) Royal Australian Navy, BATAAN (HMAS), destroyer (1944) (regiment/service) Republic of Korea Navy, AMC 301 (regiment/service) Republic of Korea Navy, AMS 505 (regiment/service) Republic of Korea Navy, AMS 502 (regiment/service) Republic of Korea Navy, UPC 701 (Bak Du San) (regiment/service)
- Keywords: ships, British naval - aircraft carrier, light: Triumph (object name) ships, British naval - cruiser: Kenya (object name) ships, British naval - cruiser: Belfast (object name) ships, British naval - destroyer Charity (object name) ships, British naval - destroyer: Cockade (object name) ships, British naval - destroyer: Cossack (object name) ships, Australian naval - destroyer: Bataan (object name) ships, Korean [South] naval - minelayer, coastal: AMC 301 (object name) ships, Korean [South] naval - minesweeper, coastal: AMS 502 (object name) ships, Korean [South] naval - minesweeper, coastal: AMS 505 (object name) ships, Korean [South] naval - escort: Bak Du San (UPC 701) (object name) aircraft, British naval - combat: Fairey Firefly FR.1 (object name) aircraft, British naval - combat: Supermarine Seafire Mk 47 (object name) combat, British naval - bombardment (object name) operations, British naval air - preparation (object name) Korea (geography)
- Physical Characteristics: Colour format: B&W Sound format: Silent Soundtrack language: None Title language: None Subtitle language: None
- Technical Details: Format: 35mm Number of items/reels/tapes: 2 Footage: 1900 ft; Running time: 21 mins
- Link to IWM Collections page:
- Related IWM Collections Objects: